New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Founders Oatmeal Chocolate/coffee stout..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #101
STB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Tried it. Two months in bottle before it mellowed out. More chocolate hints when it comes up to cellar temp from fridge temp. Much better at cellar temp.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 06:25 AM   #102
thejerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, I am getting ready to brew this. I think. I figure if I brew it now it will be ready for the first giant snowstorm of the coming winter.
I have tried this beer once and loved it. However, I am a bit concerned about the alcohol. I am one of those guys who always wants to make a beer a little more sessionable. I believe a beer should be able to be great without getting my blitzed after one glass. I want to be able to actually drink a couple of these at 7 am and still be able to function for the rest of the day. I take the title "Breakfast Stout" literally. I love a good breakfast beer.
I am thinking of toning the OG down to around 1.65. Any thoughts on this? Will it still end up around 1.020 FG if I mash at 152 with that OG? I hope it to be big enough to stand up to the coffee and cocoa but not too big to get me wasted too quickly. I would love y'alls feedback on this.
I have decided to add the coffee in the secondary after a cold extraction. I am still not sure on how to do the cocoa, however. What deviations have people taken from the instructions, and what kind of results have been seen, either in this beer or in other dark beers with chocolate? I want a big head, and don't want the oils and fats to kill it.
Thanks and Ninkasi bless,
Andy

Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #103
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yea - I tried this beer this weekend for the 1st time - NEXT weekend I'm brewing it. had to search old BYO mags to find the recipe before I saw it here.

Sounds like the recipe is getting god reviews.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #104
Flash
Recipes 

I'm pretty stoked to give this a whirl on my brewday Wednesday. I've only had past flavor success with using nibs only in secondary, so for flameout I'll add unsweetened and semi-sweet baker's chocolate and hold off on nibs until secondary again.

I cold pressed the coffee for flameout, and will do the same for secondary.

I've read differing primary times here. A few days to three weeks. Really? Is there that much discrepancy batch to batch? I have about a liter of WLP001 starter so far. I'll probably step it up one more time tomorrow before Wednesday and use the Yeast Nutrient also.

Can't wait to brew this one. Been on my "brewing queue" for a while now.

Cheers!
Flash

Old 08-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #105
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
I ask because Muntons Roasted Barley and Chocolate malt are darker than the recipe is specifying (avg of 519°L & 387°L respectfully). Briess Chocolate Malt is dead on at 350°L but their Roasted Barley is only 300°L. I wonder what the author used?
Wow this thread has legs! If the author means me I really can't remember (had a few) but I posted it earlier in this thread. Right now I am enjoying one of my "Founders" clones right now and I would rank this right up there with one of my best. i believe if memory serves and sometimes it does'nt, i used Briess. This is an incedibly complex stout and IMO one of the best I've ever tried. (never had the original) Sorry for the ramble but if you like stouts then this one is a definite must.

Regards,
Alan

Old 08-07-2009, 01:29 AM   #106
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInaHoller View Post
I couldn't find Cocoa nibs anywhere. I bought semi-sweet bakers chocolate and unsweetened bakers chocolate. Does anyone see a problem with substituting the unsweetened bakers chocolate for the nibs?
Thats what I used w/ no probs. Good Luck!

Where are you located in TN?

Regards,
Alan

Old 08-07-2009, 01:58 AM   #107
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie Stout View Post
Transferred to secondary. Still have little bits of chocolate floating around in there. Crash cooled the carboy and they still haven't settled out. Anyone else have that problem?

Tastes fantastic BTW.......
Hey Aubie, I did'nt have that problem but then I put mine in at flameout and it melted and then the residue dropped to the bottom of the fermenter. Hey my Bro lives in B'ham. I'd love to swap one of mine for one of yours to see how they differed. Do you attend Auburn games? Are you going to the UT game? I live in Lenoir City which is just outside of Knoxville and I will be pulling for Auburn in that one. If you are coming up we can swap a few home brews and compare. We will be on the same page at least for one week as I will be pulling for Aub in that one.

Roll Tide
Alan

Old 08-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #108
thejerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So has anybody who has brewed this beer gotten good results with head yet?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #109
Mad_Milo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The beer was too strong for my wife, so the answer would be no.

But seriously, from a keg I would get a small head that would dissipate quickly. If I just cracked the tap at the end of the pour, I could put a decent head on it that would last half way through drinking the snifter.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #110
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed up a version of this. I was too high on my mash temp. and apparently added too much cold water because at the end of the mash I was down to about 145*F!!! Add half gallon of boiling water to boost the temp the last 15 minutes and sparged very slowly. But I hit my 75% efficiency...just worried about the lack of chewiness. Going to use s-04 yeast instead now also to maintain some maltiness since I may have a more fermentable wort.

Quick Reply