Football Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kampo

Reaction score
so football is about a month away, and relized my pipeline for beer has grown a bit light with me experimenting with alot of wine..

So I threw together a quick 11 gallon extract Ale

7LB Extra Light DME
3lb Corn Surgar
.5lb Crystal 15L
.5lb Carapils
1oz Warrior FWH
1oz Cascade 5min

OG was 1.042 hoping it finishes around 1.008

split into 2 fermenters 1 with Notty, one Munich (I know it wouldn't be traditional but I was curious side by side what the taste would be like), but I'm thinking that may of been a bad packet :( going to give it some more time but if I don't see anything by tommrow i'll use some US-05 I have.

thinking of dry hopping with an oz of Cascade in a week (needs to be in bottles by the 8th I think. so 1 week ferment, 1 week dryhop then sit in fridge till the 8th (atleast for one of them, might let one of the fermenters sit longer)

what you guys think?

You already did this, then? Have you added the corn sugar yet, because that seems like way too much. Dry hopping may be a good idea, especially to try to cover up the cider-y flavor you'll get with that much corn sugar.

Remember this is 11 gallons. Also was under the impression that as long as it ferments fairly dry shouldn't add much of any taste. Not looking for a complex beer just a nice cheap session beer for tailgating nd football paeries

It's a bit much for corn sugar IMO for that light of a beer. You'll probably be fine but I don't usually go over a pound for five gallons. I think the dry-hopping would be good too. Also, not sure if you just wrote this wrong but you shouldn't attempt to carbonate your bottles in the fridge because at that low of a temp the yeast will most likely be dormant. Bottle, let condition between around 65-70* for two weeks then put in the fridge.

Edit: Or maybe I just read it wrong and you are putting kegs of this into the fridge??? That sounds good to me.

2nd Edit: Never mind, just reread and saw bottles, wow, I'm struggling today...

I meant fridge to cold crash for a few days. Week primary week dry hop then in fridge till the 8th then bottle

Back