First Time Using Beersmith - Please review!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crags9

Reaction score
Hey guys -

I've decided to start using Beersmith in order to better keep track of my recipes/brew days/etc. Anyways.... I think of got the hang of it, but wanted some friendly reviews and/or advice!

I'm planning on brewing a 10 gallon batch of a Zombie Dust clone I found on here and this is my printout from Beersmith. Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I just want to make sure this looks good to the more experienced guys out there before I mess up!!!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Zombie Dust Clone
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 13.52 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 12.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 11.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 8.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 73.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
24 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 81.4 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.5 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.4 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.4 %
1 lbs Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.4 %
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 27.4 IBUs
2.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
2.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 20.6 IBUs
2.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 15.1 IBUs
2.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 8.3 IBUs
2.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 12 1.8 IBUs
2.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 13 -
6.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 29 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 48.25 qt of water at 164.2 F 155.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 7.00gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that mash temp is closer to full body, 156°, not light. light is 148°

but 155° is recommended mash temp for Zombie Dust clone. just pointing out problem with mash profile

Thanks! I completely overlooked that. I'm not sure whether I'm better off to just keep written recipes or try the brewing software!

Thanks! I completely overlooked that. I'm not sure whether I'm better off to just keep written recipes or try the brewing software!

both. but...

was just listening to Jamil Show and he suggests first brewing to the recipe and make changes in subsequent batches

my first brew (1st after 17-year hiatus) was an extract recipe taken from a midwest kit and it turned out OK for all the born-again n00b mistakes I made.

2nd batch was an AG IPA from a recipe i basically anally extracted and, though I liked it, most of my home brew club panned it.

3rd batch was re-brew of the first, without the mistakes and it turned out pretty good, but waaaay darker than a Belgian blonde should be.

4th & 5th batch were parti-gyle, the big beer from a known recipe and transferring to secondary it was so effin tastyandgood, it made me cry. small beer was another recipe I made up and this time, I'm not too thrilled with it

last batch was Jamil's Maibock recipe, only change I made was using ale yeast, since I don't have the means to properly lager. I did ferment a little low temp wise, will be bottling this tomorrow, but whatever smells I get out of the airlock, it will be my best batch yet

so, I'm going back to following recipes. at least until I get my technique down a little better and a better idea of what makes a good beer and what I like most.

Back