Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Firestone Walker Wookey Jack Clone Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #41
ipsiad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did my side-by-side tasting with the real Wookey Jack. FWIW, my bomber of WJ was bottled on 7/6/12 and was unrefrigerated at the store, while my brew was brewed on 8/5 and kept cold after dry hopping.

Here's a picture of them next to each other:

Mine is on the left, WJ is on the right. Right away you can see there's a difference in the color of the head, and when light is shining through them the clone is slightly darker. I think this is due to the crush on my midnight wheat. I bought that separately at my LHBS (everything else was pre-crushed from BMW), and as I always do with wheat malts I set the mill gap smaller, but that ended up pulverizing the midnight wheat almost into powder. I think if everything were milled together the color would've been identical.

I had SWMBO assist me with a blindfolded triangle test. Aroma was virtually indistinguishable. Mine had slightly more hop aroma, but the character was the same. Taste was very close as well - same hint of spice and roastiness from the rye and dark malts, same sweet fruity flavors from the Citra/Amarillo blend. The WJ however had a floral note in the aftertaste that the clone didn't have, and WJ's mouthfeel/finish was also a little thinner. So based on the aftertaste and mouthfeel I could always tell them apart in a triangle test. Overall though they're really, really close, and both beers were outstanding. Without knowing which was which, SWMBO said she preferred the clone.

Phenomenal recipe, easily one of the best beers I've ever made. Can't stop drinking it (which is problematic, as it's 8.5% ABV). I'm actually not a fan of most black IPAs, but FSW and skeezerpleezer got it right with this one. I will definitely brew this again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #42
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 363 Times on 205 Posts

Thanks for the feedback and glad it turned out good. I put mine on gas 3 days ago, so will compare it to the real Wookey Jack this weekend.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #43
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Welp, here it is. Appearance is spot on, my head retention lasted a bit better. Aroma, mine is better, lots more hops, but is fresher, i will grab new Wookey tomorrow in AZ and compare again. Taste is as basically spot on, not gonna get much closer. This is fantastic, will be making another soon.

forumrunner_20120915_160336.jpg

Old 09-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #44
Moose777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was one of the judges at The California Beer Festival in Ventura last weekend and this was my favorite entry. It ended up taking second place overall.
Karl Strauss Brewing - Wreck Alley Imperial Stout took first prize

I'll be giving this recipe a shot next if I can find all the ingredients.

KEG 1: (ON TAP) Waldo Lake Amber
KEG 2 :(ON TAP) Imperial Stout
KEG 3: (ON TAP) Irish Red Ale [COLOR="Blue"]
KEG 4:(On Tap) Centennial Blonde
KEG 5: Creamy Bikini
KEG 6:

On deck:
Vanilla Bourbon Porter (for this winter)
Ed Worts Oktoberfest with Kolsh yeast Yummmy
Yooper Stone Ruination IPA

Old 10-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #45
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
Welp, here it is. Appearance is spot on, my head retention lasted a bit better. Aroma, mine is better, lots more hops, but is fresher, i will grab new Wookey tomorrow in AZ and compare again. Taste is as basically spot on, not gonna get much closer. This is fantastic, will be making another soon.

Attachment 75841
Today I will be brewing the FW Wookie Jack clone and I wanted to thank you for posting the recipe and doing the grunt work to get everything out to your HBT brothers.

I do have two questions for you - first, is the recipe you posted at the beginning of the thread the final recipe (I have gone through most of the thread but I want to be sure I didn't miss anything). Second, the fermentation temp is shown at 62° in your recipe but White Labs shows 65° as the lower end of the range for WLP002. Did you ferment at 62° or something higher?

Thanks again and as soon as my batch is finished, I'll post up the results!

Old 10-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #46
jclucca
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Today I will be brewing the FW Wookie Jack clone
Great minds think alike! I just pitched 2 packages of US-05 into a 5.5 gallon batch of this one myself. I made a few minor changes, mostly moving the late additions to 15 instead of 25 minutes, per Scottland's version posted here. I also upped the rye to 2lbs, just because that was how much I bought, so it all went in the recipe.

I had Wookey Jack and a Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous side by side last night and they were very difficult to distinguish on flavor, but the aromas were different - the Stone being more piney. Either way, I'm very excited to have a full batch of this all to myself!

My brew day went pretty well. My mash temp was a bit low - 148 and I decided to skip the 154* step and just batch sparge. I seriously doubt it will make much difference, and I didn't feel like doing a 1gal 210* infusion to try and hit the second step.

I'll update on the progress on this one, too.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #47
FarmerTed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 120

This bad boy won 1st prize in the black american ale category at gabf. I'd say that for most people who've had it, the win is not a surprise at all.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #48
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC

Today I will be brewing the FW Wookie Jack clone and I wanted to thank you for posting the recipe and doing the grunt work to get everything out to your HBT brothers.

I do have two questions for you - first, is the recipe you posted at the beginning of the thread the final recipe (I have gone through most of the thread but I want to be sure I didn't miss anything). Second, the fermentation temp is shown at 62° in your recipe but White Labs shows 65° as the lower end of the range for WLP002. Did you ferment at 62° or something higher?

Thanks again and as soon as my batch is finished, I'll post up the results!
Yeah the 1st post is up to date. I set my ferm chamber to 62, no problems. The wort probably hits 65+ at that setting. Make a big starter. I have put this head to head with 7 or 8 people and they like the clone better. They say it is pretty much spot on but hop presence in the aroma is way better in the clone

Old 10-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #49
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
They say it is pretty much spot on but hop presence in the aroma is way better in the clone
Nothing tastes better than fresh hoppy beer! Thanks for keeping the recipe up to date. My brew day went really well though LHBS didn't have the midnight wheat so I just have plain wheat in there. Next time round I'm going to order the specialty grains online & get the recipe exact. I went with a 2.7 liter starter and pitched it last night when the wert got down to 70°. It's hovering at 62-63 according to the temp probe on the side of the carboy and I've got kroisen pumping out the blow off tube - busy yeaties!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #50
petree3
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I'm excited to try this recipe! Probably the most expensive and hardest to track down ingredient bill I have ever seen... but... It's all in my hand and ready to brew as soon as I get more fermentation space opened up!

Quick Reply