Extract Dunkelweizen Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRGriffith

Reaction score
Hello all!

Recently I bought a kit for a hefe, and I decided to take my own direction with things :drunk:. I love dark beers, and I had plenty of extra ingredients on hand, so this is what I came up with:

6 Lbs Wheat LME
2 Lbs Dark DME
8 Oz Midnight Wheat Malt
8 Oz Chocolate Malt
2 Oz Tettnanger (60 Min)
Water to 5.5 Gallon
Danstar Munich Yeast
1 Oz Banana Extract (At Keg)

Standard extract brewing procedures. Hoping for a nice dark, chocolate and banana flavored beer. Let me know what you think!

Cheers :mug:

The recipe looks good. I'd skip the banana extract, too. Getting the Wienstephaner liquid yeast and fermenting it a higher temperature might be a better idea.

Swap the dark extract for munich LME, for sure. And you want a touch of dark crystal malt.

Definitely ditch the banana extract.

Have fun!

Thanks for the input guys! Yeah, I think I'll switch to the liquid yeast and opt out on the banana extract. I'll post up the final recipe, results, etc on brew day

My 2 cents..

DarK DME is the same as Munich. It contains stuff like Black Patent malt, etc.

Also, I would skip the Chocolate malt.. it will give way too roasty of a flavor for the style.

I just brewed up a Dunkelweissen last week using Jamils recipe.

Do a partial mash.. something like:

a few pounds of Munich
8oz of Crystal 40L
8oz of Special B
the rest Light DME to get you to 1.050
Hallertauer/or Tett to get you to 15 IBUs

Back