Explosive White Labs Tube!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mZnthebend

Reaction score
I opened up a White Labs Tube of San Francisco Ale Yeast last weekend. It had been warming up from refrigerated temps at the LHBS to ambient (69F) over a period of 3-4 hours. When I opened it up, it spewed out all over the place like a coke being opened up. I pitched it none the less before I lost it all. No problem with the fermenting. I hit my terminal gravity at the end of the week.

Is this a sign of a "bad" tube, or is this a normal thing?

Crack it when you first bring it out of the fridge, and then crack it every 15-30 minutes to offgas some of the CO2.

ChrisKennedy said:
Crack it when you first bring it out of the fridge, and then crack it every 15-30 minutes to offgas some of the CO2.

Say no to crack!

But yes, open slowly or open cold.

I do not shake it vigorously before I open the vial, too. Shake like mad to resuspend the pellet after you take it from the fridge, if you want to. However, after that, you should just be able to gently agitate it to resuspend the pellet again. Then, open slowly and let the hiss go away.

Welcome to the club of yeast spewers!

TL

TexLaw said:
I do not shake it vigorously before I open the vial, too. Shake like mad to resuspend the pellet after you take it from the fridge, if you want to. However, after that, you should just be able to gently agitate it to resuspend the pellet again. Then, open slowly and let the hiss go away.

Welcome to the club of yeast spewers!

TL

I don't think I have ever found a pellet in my white labs vial....what kinda pellets are in yours?

When the yeast drops out of suspension and settles down in the vial, the yeast down there is called a "pellet." It's an old lab term that I still have floating around in my vocabulary from a past life.

TL

TexLaw said:
When the yeast drops out of suspension and settles down in the vial, the yeast down there is called a "pellet." It's an old lab term that I still have floating around in my vocabulary from a past life.

TL

Dig.:mug: :rockin:

Back