Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > DFH Raison D'etre EXTRACT recipe
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Esmitee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Little Egg Harbor, At the Bay and Ocean, NJ
Posts: 493
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default DFH Raison D'etre EXTRACT recipe

Anyone interested in this beer? I love it and have a carboy ferming right now.

The recipe supposedly comes from a brewer from DFH.


7 lbs. Light DME
( I USED Light LME ) ??? think there will be much difference?

8 oz. Dark Munich malt (Steep grains at 165 for 30 min)
4 oz. crystal malt 60 Lovibond
8 oz. chocolate malt
4 oz. Kiln coffee
8 oz. Dark Belgian Candi syrup @ 10 min
4 oz. Beet or Brown sugar
6 oz. raisins (pureed) (I used GOLDEN raisins) 2 cups of wort after boiling 10 min, puree raisins and mix with wort. ADD @10 min.
0.5 oz Warrior pellet hops boil @ 60 min.
0.5 oz. Vanguard pellet hops end of boil
Wyeast Belgian Abbey II yeast

I made a 1 L starter, Then decanted, and made another 1 L starter.

I got no OG nor FG numbers on it. But I got and OG of 1.072

Im drinking a DFH Indian Brown Ale right now YUMMMMM

__________________

Last edited by Esmitee; 08-21-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: adding
Esmitee is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 4,079
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

This just looks like an adjusted recipe from "Extreme Brewing" so I would think its very close.

__________________
He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven.

Another HERMS rig...
Suthrncomfrt1884 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
Esmitee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Little Egg Harbor, At the Bay and Ocean, NJ
Posts: 493
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
this just looks like an adjusted recipe from "extreme brewing" so i would think its very close.
hope sooo
__________________
Esmitee is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
Esmitee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Little Egg Harbor, At the Bay and Ocean, NJ
Posts: 493
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

here it is 8 28 11 OG of 1.016 3 times in a row, I tasted it , and has all of the flavors I expected. Chilling it overnite, and going to force carb it tomorrow early am. Hope to take a taste later in the day after work around 6:00 pm.......I also have a bottle of the real stuff to do a blindfold taste test! Im thinking its going to be GOOD. should be close to the ABV?

__________________

Last edited by Esmitee; 08-29-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: taste taste LOL
Esmitee is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Esmitee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Little Egg Harbor, At the Bay and Ocean, NJ
Posts: 493
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Wow, I forgot to post how well this brew turned out. Soooooo

That should have been "FG" not "OG" in my last reply.

It turned out to be 7.75% ABV, real close to DFH stated ABV of 8%.

I did have some blind taste tests with my friends with a bottle of the DFH brew and my clone.

Mine won, Hands DOWN as better tasting ......Yeaaa

My brew was darker and a little bit thicker, But as far as taste goes,
I think it was Spot On.

If ya like the DFH brew, I would recommend trying this recipe! It kicks AZZ!

__________________
Thank You in Advance for your Time and Info....!
Esmitee is offline
br3wme Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
abrew2u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Amherst, Ny
Posts: 200
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmitee
here it is 8 28 11 OG of 1.016 3 times in a row, I tasted it , and has all of the flavors I expected. Chilling it overnite, and going to force carb it tomorrow early am. Hope to take a taste later in the day after work around 6:00 pm.......I also have a bottle of the real stuff to do a blindfold taste test! Im thinking its going to be GOOD. should be close to the ABV?
How close did it turn out to the real thing. Thinking of brewing this weekend,wanted to know if I should change anything or if you had any tips.
__________________
abrew2u is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Esmitee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Little Egg Harbor, At the Bay and Ocean, NJ
Posts: 493
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrew2u View Post
How close did it turn out to the real thing. Thinking of brewing this weekend,wanted to know if I should change anything or if you had any tips.
I'd have to say it's a very close dead ringer except for the color. It is an extract brew, and I only did a 3 gal boil because of my "STOVE TOP conditions".

I would suggest that IF you can, do the full 5 gal boil.
I think thats why my brew came out darker in color.

I really think ALL my brews come out darker cause of the small concentrate of wort? But I have to say, Haven't made a bad tasting one YET LOL

I'm getting a turkey fryer for Xmas to do the full boils. I believe that the brews will come out even better!

If you have any questions specific to this brew, Just go ahead and ask, I 'm, on here everyday LOL I'll tell you what and how I did it.

OH yea, I still have a little bit left. I have to say, That it got even better the longer it has been in the keg! YUMMMMM

__________________
Thank You in Advance for your Time and Info....!
Esmitee is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
abrew2u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Amherst, Ny
Posts: 200
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmitee

I'd have to say it's a very close dead ringer except for the color. It is an extract brew, and I only did a 3 gal boil because of my "STOVE TOP conditions".

I would suggest that IF you can, do the full 5 gal boil.
I think thats why my brew came out darker in color.

I really think ALL my brews come out darker cause of the small concentrate of wort? But I have to say, Haven't made a bad tasting one YET LOL

I'm getting a turkey fryer for Xmas to do the full boils. I believe that the brews will come out even better!

If you have any questions specific to this brew, Just go ahead and ask, I 'm, on here everyday LOL I'll tell you what and how I did it.

OH yea, I still have a little bit left. I have to say, That it got even better the longer it has been in the keg! YUMMMMM

I'm an extract brewer myself and I only got a 4 gal brew pot I'll try to do a four gal boil and see how it turns out.
I was also considering getting a turkey fryer to do bigger boils let me know how the fryer goes .
Definitely going to brew this soon,I had some dfh raison d'être over the weekend for the first time and I got to say wow!!!
Thanks for the advice
__________________
abrew2u is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 03:07 AM   #9
tojo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Suburban Philadelphia area, PA
Posts: 451
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

4 oz of sugar is noted in recipe but not listed as to when to add.

__________________

I love a good train wreck!!

tojo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 AM   #10
abrew2u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Amherst, Ny
Posts: 200
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

i was also wondering when you add the sugar?Do you add it with the dme or at the end of the boil,or when you add the raisins or at a different time? some clarification we be very much appreciated thank you

__________________
abrew2u is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dogfish "Raison D'extra" clone philhead1 Recipes/Ingredients 39 09-09-2012 06:02 PM
Dogfish head Rasion D'Etre extract brew OBSCZONER Recipes/Ingredients 5 03-11-2011 12:17 AM
Raison D'Etre - Has Anyone Made a Sucessful Batch? ultravista Recipes/Ingredients 11 02-18-2011 01:27 AM
Wanted: Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale and Raison AG Recipes ultravista Recipes/Ingredients 2 01-28-2011 05:34 PM
DFH Raison d'Etre: Acidity? Brew-Happy Recipes/Ingredients 4 10-16-2009 07:30 PM