Citra SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedevanzoshift

Reaction score
Hey all, looking to brew my first AG this weekend and wanted to start simple. Loving IPA's and Citra, decided to go with a SMaSH recipe:

Messing around with Beersmith came up with this guy:

Batch Size: 5.5 g
Single infusion, light body, no mash out
Boil time: 60 min

Grain:
13.2 lbs Vienna Malt
1.00 oz Citra (60)
.50 oz Citra at 45, 30, 15 and flameout
1.00 oz Citra dry hop for 7 days
1 pkg Caifornia Ale (#WLP001)

72.4 IBUs
Color 5.7 SRM
Est OG/FG 1.062/1.014
Est ABV 6.3%

Anyone else have experience with a similar recipe?

Any suggestions?

Will post results!

Cheers

Well, if you want a SMaSH, there really is no "other hop" for bittering.

Personally, I like a lot of hops in the last 15 minutes, so I'd move those 30 and 45 minutes later and just adjust the 60 minute to hit your intended IBU.

For dry hopping, I'd go with 3oz - but I like to smell my IPA's coming.

Yeah I have 4 oz of citra pellets handy. Might move the .5 oz additions to later in the boil. Ill toy around with it tonight. Might pick up some more hops and deviate a bit from the smash concept

I do not understand the fascination with "SMaSHing"

Its one thing to use a smash to get a handle on your ingredients but to just want to make a smash because you want to drink 5 gallons of it is puzzling to me.

If you want to use all citra and make an IPA...just make Skeezers Zombie Dust Clone, especially since this is your first AG recipe. You may want to get a handle on your ingredients by using other peoples recipes(who already have a handle on ingredients) before you just say, hey I'm going to a smash with x and z.

Or just move ahead with your SMaSH....but if you're going to bitter with Citra, make it a FWH and move the rest of the additions to 20 min and less. Also, 1 oz is not going to be enough to properly dry hop with. I never dry hop with less than 3, unless I'm using an unfamiliar recipe that calls for it. Also, Citra as a bittering variety has mixed opinions with people, it may be safer to have a beer with more body.

I love citra. Brewed up the Z-dust clone and loved it, but that takes 9oz of hops. With the 4 oz you have I would use .75-1oz @ 60m, and split the rest between 5, 5,0, and 1oz dry hop.

I think I would tone down the IBU's to something like 40-50 so you have more late addition hops or deviate from smash and use 1 oz bittering of warrior or magnum and use all the citra for flavor.

Yeah, I'd bail on the "SH" part and use some Magnum @ 60, then the Citras all at 20, 5, 0 and dryhop.

Here's the "smash" I did...except I cheated like Topher and used some honey malt:

ABV 5.95%
OG 1.058
FG 1.013
52.6 IBUs
6.7 SRM

11.00# Marris Otter
1.00 # Honey Malt

.5 oz Citra FWH
1.00 oz Citra 15 min
1.00 oz Citra 5 min
2.00 oz Citra dry hop 10 days

Been drinking on it the past few days and I love it. But I really like the flavor of citra, so ymmv. I'm making another batch soon, except I added a half oz of warrior at 60, removed the citra fwh and added another citra oz at 5 min, and about 3 oz of centenial from 15 min down for what I hope ends up being a hop bomb.

Back