Celebration recipe suggsstion - 6-8 Months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCYoder

Reaction score
In April I am leaving to go to school for 6 months for the Marines. Would love to brew something within the next month so I could watch it for the first month before I ship, and just let it sit till I come back. Would love for a beer that I can give to everyone in my platoon as a celebration beer. Would come back in September to bottle it since I don't keg.

Any suggestions on a good style for a partial mash that can sit. Feel barley wine wouldn't be good cause that is a year at least. Any ideas would be great. Cheers!

If you have temp control do a lager. It could easily be done in a month, and lagered while you're away. Would also require kegging, not very helpful, I guess.

_

A good strong ale is never a bad option. It gets better with age and usually is liked by anyone who drinks it. I have some neighbor BMC fans who love the strong ale I make them. Also a great PM type of beer, and very simple. I'll post a recipe if you would like. My Strong Ale is 1.070 OG with a nice malty taste. If you look at my Barley Wine recipe, it is actually a mellow version of that.

Cheers!:mug:

I like the strong ale idea. I don't have the temp control to do a lager, so that would be out.

I was listening to podcasts today and that about a belgian strong or even a dubble or tripel.

Brocster, would love to see your recipe, least give me an idea to work with.

EDIT: Going to try and write up a dubbel and/or tripel recipe when I am at work tonight and see what I can come up with.

Well waiting for tonight turned into doing it now since I have it on my mind.

Here are two different recipes, both for a finished 5 gal of beer.

Tripel:
Belgian Munich Malt 1.5 lb - 11.2 %
Belgian Pilsner 1 lb - 7.5 %
Belgian Aromatic Malt 0.25 lb - 1.9 %
Extract - Pilsen Light Liquid Extract 9.25 lb - 68.3 %
Sugar - Belgian Soft Candi Sugar Blond 1.5 lb - 11.2 %
German Tettnang 2 oz (4.5%) - 60 Min
Czech Saaz .5 oz (3%) - 10 Min

OG 1.079
FG 1.013
ABV 8.9%
IBU 36
SRM 5

Dubbel:
Belgian Pilsner 1 lb - 9.1 %
Belgian Munich Malt 1 lb - 9.1 %
Belgian Aromatic Malt .50 lb - 4.5 %
German CaraMunich III .50 lb - 4.5 %
Belgian Special B .50 lb - 4.5 %
Extract - Pilsen Light Liquid Extract 6.00 lb - 54.5 %
Sugar - Dark Candi Syrup .75 lb - 6.8 %
Sugar - White Sugar/Sucrose .75 lb - 6.8 %
German Tettnang 1 oz (4.5%) - 60 Min

OG 1.063
FG 1.009
ABV 7.2%
IBU 19
SRM 16

For the yeasts for either, I am debating between the WLP500 Trappist Ale or the WLP530 Abbey Ale. I know people have used them, anyone do a side by side and have opinions on what is better??

Latest posts

Back