In a brewing rut!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, Belgian IPA = Piraat = Woowee!!! yes, Yes, YES. Do EET!!

If not, look for inspiration elsewhere. Last time I was in a rut I went down the history road to see what my ancestors were drinking before they came over. I found Kotbusser. When Bavaria joined the German empire one condition was the Rheinheitsgebot had to apply to the whole empire. So my peeps in Prussia had to stop making Kotbusser, the grain bill is part barley, part oat, part wheat. Gently hopped. Light enough for girls, mile high foam, manly man numbers, it rocks.

What were your ancestors drinking way back when?

ps: I have a source for maltable oats, so if you want to make your own say 60° Crystal from oats this fall, drop me a PM.

the kotbusser sounds interesting. can you post your recipe?

I'm with you, Yooper. I've lost a lot of the zest for brewing that I used to have. I'm not quitting by any means, but I'm not gung-ho about it anymore either. I like drinking my beer, but everything else just seems like work. I have no idea how guys who brew every week for years can maintain that pace.

Anyway, I've just lowered my expectations to match my enthusiasm level. I brew when I want and what I want and don't worry about it. If I have to buy some commercial beer to get through a spell with no homebrew, then that's fine.

I've done a cider and am planning two meads (and maybe even a batch of wine) just for fun and something different.

Long story short, don't worry about it. Take a break if you need it. One day you'll find that your energy has come back and then you'll know what to do.

:mug:

I've found that every single hobby I've ever had I go through ebbs and flows. Every hobby I've ever started I swore I could never tire of: golf, flying, poker, brewing, whatever....I go through periods where I just can't stand the thought of doing it ever again. Every hobby has it's tedious bits it seems. Even poker - a game I actually get paid to play - there are days I'd rather scratch my eyes out.

It always comes back after a freshening. Well, except golf and flying. Current lifestyle/family situation hasn't allowed for those in a long time.

You should try a nut brown, heavy on aroma, and DH it.

I just had one of these- Triple Rock Dragon's Milk.

Dragons Milk (7.6% A.A.B.V.) dry-hopped brown ale, very aromatic, tastes of roasted chocolate and coffee with a full-bodied finish

It was really good! Full bodied is right, and tons of hop aroma. I'm gonna have to try making one of these myself.

Back