Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Beni-Koji. Red Yeast Rice. Old School... like really really Old School

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #121
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

You could do what I do and put it in the Pantry. I'm not much of a photographer though and I'd have to fumble through my camera to figure out how to reduce it from 16mpx for size issues.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #122
ACC84
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I started a 1 Qt jar of Jasmine Rice with RYR and Yeast balls 2 weeks ago. I smelled it last night and tasted it. I was amazed at how good it tastes. Definitely some alcohol heat coming through along with the fruit flavors. My girlfriend tried it and asked if we can flavor it with fruit.

Sounds like I got the OK to make some more!

Cheers for the idea.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #123
trbig
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
This. Like I said, not the greatest idea. I had to punch holes in it again to let co2 out when I got home today. It had heaved up above the level of the dispenser.

This is the problem I had with my 20+ cup batch. Seems with a larger batch, the sticky rice forms a plug or glue and won't let the CO2 escape. At the 21 day mark of mine, there was really no liquid. I stuck a spoon in, and @ a gallon sized CO2 bubble burped out. Not sure what to do, so I added more water so the CO2 could actually work itself up and out. I went on a vacation cross country and have been busy as heck with work since then. It's been a few weeks since I added the water and closed it back up. It's either done.. or ruined by now. lol. Heading out on another bike trip tomorrow afternoon, so it'll be a few more days until I can check it again.

I've got a couple gallon sized containers (See-through) and will try making smaller batches. Three large batches now, and none of them have worked out as designed.

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
Sorry if I'm rambling. Vicodin, Flexeril, mead and rice wine are a nasty combination. I highly recommend it.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #124
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 962 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbig View Post
This is the problem I had with my 20+ cup batch. Seems with a larger batch, the sticky rice forms a plug or glue and won't let the CO2 escape. At the 21 day mark of mine, there was really no liquid. I stuck a spoon in, and @ a gallon sized CO2 bubble burped out. Not sure what to do, so I added more water so the CO2 could actually work itself up and out. I went on a vacation cross country and have been busy as heck with work since then. It's been a few weeks since I added the water and closed it back up. It's either done.. or ruined by now. lol. Heading out on another bike trip tomorrow afternoon, so it'll be a few more days until I can check it again.

I've got a couple gallon sized containers (See-through) and will try making smaller batches. Three large batches now, and none of them have worked out as designed.
I have been wondering if this problem could be alleviated by either using a container that was more flat. So the rice wasn't as deep. Or, by taking some perforated 1/2 pvc and sticking it down into channels in the rice. That would allow pathways for the co2 to escape.
Newsman Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #125
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ha! I punched some more holes in the rice "cap" and it sank. I was then able to get the dispenser out of the bucket and get some photos.

dsc_0005.jpg   dsc_0001.jpg   dsc_0003.jpg  

Old 05-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #126
Accidic

Recipes 

Does it taste better when you punch the cap? I've been leaving mine and the result is just a hair less sweet than people are suggesting.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #127
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidic View Post
Does it taste better when you punch the cap? I've been leaving mine and the result is just a hair less sweet than people are suggesting.
I honestly don't think that makes any real difference. I just needed to get the co2 out so I could get my hands around the rim of the dispenser. That, and keep it from heaving out of the container.

I think the sweetness has more to do with the amount of water present. More water, means that you will ferment more of the sugar converted from the rice starch before you have a high enough alcohol content to halt the fermentation. In short, the more water you have the drier the wine.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #128
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sorry, no pictures today. My camera battery was dead and it hasn't charged yet.

I got the large red rice wine batch harvested. I was looking at the beverage dispenser it was in. I think I misremembered. I think it's a 3 gallon dispenser. So I've got about 1 1/2 gallons of red rice wine. Back in the dispenser after removing the starch solids, and with 1 1/2 tsp bentonite powder in it.

I mixed the leftover starch mass with 15 cups of dry jasmine rice cooked with a 1:1.5 ratio of rice to water. I did this with my hands, the rice paddle thing wasn't cutting it. It's really red, like fatty ground beef red. That's hanging out in a food grade 5 gallon bucket with an airlock.

It looked like I tried to butcher a chicken on my kitchen counter before I cleaned up, and I've got a tea towel that isn't ever going to be white again. That's ok though. I've got plenty more, so I can dedicate one to the red rice wine.

Newsman Likes This 
Old 05-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #129
Accidic

Recipes 

The more water I get the more sour it tends to be. My most recent batch I ran at 1.25:1 which seems to be the sweet spot for the RRY batches for me personally but I should note that I presoak tho and some of that gets absorbed beforehand making the virtual ratio just a tad bit higher.

I asked about the punched cap though since my last batch never really separated. The clarity of the liquid though was spectacularly clear at the end of 28 days (21 is just a bit too sweet for me).

Old 05-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #130
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidic View Post
The more water I get the more sour it tends to be. My most recent batch I ran at 1.25:1 which seems to be the sweet spot for the RRY batches for me personally but I should note that I presoak tho and some of that gets absorbed beforehand making the virtual ratio just a tad bit higher.

I asked about the punched cap though since my last batch never really separated. The clarity of the liquid though was spectacularly clear at the end of 28 days (21 is just a bit too sweet for me).
I think with the larger batches you do need to punch holes in the cap. Otherwise you end up with a lot of rice floating on co2 bubbles above the liquid level. I don't think that rice actually does much starch conversion.

Another method I saw involved rolling the rice into golf ball sized balls, and stacking those in the fermentor. That would probably also work, plenty of space between the rice for the co2 to escape. I would worry about contamination with the fermentor open long enough to do that in a larger batch though.

I've stopped rinsing and soaking myself. It just seemed like unnecessary work. I'm just cooking the rice with a 1:1.5 ratio of rice to water now. Oddly, that is exactly the ratio used by my rice cooker at full capacity. With soaking, I would think you are using about the same ratio of rice/water as I am.

I have noticed that my final product is much more murky now. Rinsing would probably help with that.

Quick Reply