Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Apfelwine questions ?????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #21
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ed I have a question for you.
Do you know what the calories would be per pint of this stuff?

I'm on a hard core diet right now (have amarathon in 23 days) so I have to watch what I eat and drink. The problem is I just can't stop drinking this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #22
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402

I'm on a hard core diet right now (have amarathon in 23 days) so I have to watch what I eat and drink. The problem is I just can't stop drinking this stuff.
I'm guessing it would be 200 or so. It may taste light, but it's not.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #23
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402

You can actually get a good approximation of this doing some math. You need to read the label of the apple juice and find out how many calories are in it, then figure look and see how much sugar is in the juice (there are 4 calories per gram of sugar) multiply the numer of grams of sugar in the juice by 4 and subtract that from the calorie count of the apple juice as a whole, those are your base calories, you will have at least that many calories in every glass, plus additional calories from whatever sugar does not ferment out of the wine. You figure this out by taking Og and Fg readings and get the % alcohol by weight and then calculate calories for the alcohol 7 calories per gram of alcohol and add those back to the origional count. You are going to have to standardize your measurements, and I did a horrible job explaining this without the proper formulas, but it can be done.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 12-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #24
marcella
Recipes 

Default apfelwine bubbling?

I started my first batch of apfelwine on Thursday. Today, it's got a hefty layer of foamy stuff, and the foamy stuff has filled the bung and is bubbling. I used half unfiltered organic apple juice from our trees (which I filtered slightly with cheesecloth, but it's unpasturized), and half organic bottled Old Orchard. Is it okay that it's bubbling/foaming like crazy? Is it about to blow off the bung? I'm new at home brewing...thanks!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #25
geosteve
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Carbonation volumes? Any suggestions?

I know I'm posting in an "old thread" but it's one of the more frequently referenced ones (for good reason, I gather - that's why I'm here...). I'm going to start a batch of this (maybe two given a good price on apple juice) pretty soon here, but I had one question:

For carbing (I'm kegging, but it would hold for bottles, too) how many volumes do any of you shoot for? I'm guessing higher, maybe something around 3 (mew said to "carb it a lot")? Any input or advice? [FWIW, I'm not dead-set on carbonation, just collecting information - it might be a good idea to do one still and one carbonated...]

I've heard people say it's best carbonated like champagne, but that's 5-ish volumes (too high for beer bottles), and I'm not going that high... unless someone can be persuasive!

And folks like this fairly warm, right? Maybe serve it at high 40s F?

EDIT: I'd still love feedback, but this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/apfelwein-how-much-carbonation-237880/#post2811740 says around 3 volumes is good two posts indicate that, with 5-ish volumes making it not-so-good (Arneba28 says 5+ volumes tastes like "really really bad champagne).

Old 07-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #26
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Reviving an old thread to add a few questions:

1) I know people say you can make this in a 5 gal carboy, as the wine yeast doesn't give a big krausen. Is there any downside to using a larger 6.5 gal carboy?
2) What temp is best for ferment? I can let sit in my house where ambient will be 75 or lower, or put it in my fermentation fridge if necessary.
3) I plan to serve it at a party in ~3 months. Do I leave it in "primary" that whole time, or should I pull it off to age after fermentation is complete (say, 1 month).
4) I can cold crash to reduce sediment for the transfer to "secondary" (which would likely be a corny keg). Will the apfelwein continue to generate sediment after that, necessitating me to push it to another keg before carbonating and serving? Or should I be fine with again in my serving container?
5) Do people use gelatin for fining, or will that screw this up?

Thanks, all. Hoping for this to be a big hit at my O'fest party, and perhaps even be something my non-beer-drinking wife will enjoy.

Quick Reply