Amount of Peach in Skinny Dip?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugaboo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been thinking of lighter refreshing beer to make for summer already and really enjoy New Belgian Skinny Dip. No clone recipes to be found so I'm working on my own. The website lists peach juice as an ingredient. Can't say that I remember detecting peach in one of these but then again I wasn't looking for it.

Any one have a clue as to how much peach to add? How to add it: fresh peaches, peach puree, or peach juice?

Also looking for someone with experience with kaffir leaves. I know they're lime leaves. Where do you get them and how much would you use?

I had some of that last summer while I was in Utah and I don't remember ANY peach flavor in it at all. That's pretty surprising.

Anyways, what I would do if I were you would be to get some Oregon brand peaches and add a can or two to your secondary. Give it some time and taste it. Work from there to get it where you want it. I cannot comment on the amount used in Skinny Dip though. Maybe e-mail the brewery? I've heard wonderful things about their customer service.

Also looking for someone with experience with kaffir leaves. I know they're lime leaves. Where do you get them and how much would you use?

Check out a local Asian market. Especially Thai markets, if you can; Thai food uses kaffir limes and leaves in a lot of dishes. How much though? Beats me.

Check out a local Asian market. Especially Thai markets, if you can; Thai food uses kaffir limes and leaves in a lot of dishes. How much though? Beats me.

Wish I had an Asian market near me. I'd use it all the time. Kaffir leaf combined with the flavoring hops I think is the forward taste in this beer. Maybe I'll make a tea from it and see how strong it is.

Kinda leaning towards using peach juice. Not sure if i would treat it like part of my boil water or add it to secondary. I no chill brew so I was thinking about putting a certain amount of juice in my corny and then at flame out pour my wort on top of that.

Just got my leafs in. Took two weeks from Thailand. I'll make that tea when I get closer to making it. Otherwise any ideas as to amount of leaf to add will be greatly appreciated.

Bugaboo,

Did you ever make this?

I converted this recipe to all grain and it turned out pretty good. I added the lime leaf tea to taste, and put 1.5 cups of peach schnapps in (I know, peach juice or peaches would have been better - but I sort of forgot that until the last minute :drunk: ). Turned out great.

First time I've seen a recipe written for skinny dip!

Kind of forgotten about this beer. How many leaves did you end up doing?

Have you tasted what new belgium unfortunately replaced skinny dip with? Sommersault's not my favorite. Not bad but I preferred skinny dip

How to add it: fresh peaches, peach puree, or peach juice?

In my experience:

3lbs fresh peaches in a 5gal batch is just barely detectable in a light wheat beer
6lbs fresh peaches in a 5gal batch gives you a noticeable taste/aroma

I take peaches, puree them, heat them to about 180F (to kill most of the bugs without boiling off the flavors) and then add them directly to the primary with a funnel. I transfer to secondary after about 5 days because all that peach material gets very junky. I've also heard a rumor that allowing the peach slurry to sit on the top of the fermentor (which is where it likes to end up) will allow it to dry out and then get nasty sorts of mold, but I haven't seen that in any batches that I've done after sitting for up to 10 days.

Good info Billvon. I can't remember much peach taste in skinny dip so I think keeping the peach subtle would be a good move, but hey a wheat with more peach flavor than may be be proper for skinny dip would still be good.

Back