American Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksparkes

Reaction score
I just brewed this today. It was my first time using Warrior hops so I'm not too sure what to expect. Would appreciate any comments or suggestions for next time.

malt & fermentables

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentables

88% 11 0 American Two-row Pale
8% 1 0 Crystal 40L
4% 0 8 Caramel Pils
12 8
Batch size: 5.5 gallons

BIAB
Mash at 153 for 75min
Mashout 168 for 10min

Original Gravity
1.061 / 15.0° Plato Actual 1.59
(1.054 to 1.063)
Final Gravity
1.015 / 3.8° Plato
(1.013 to 1.015)
Color
7° SRM / 14° EBC
(Gold to Copper)

hops
use time oz variety form aa

boil 60 mins 1.0 Warrior pellet 17.2
boil 15 mins 0.5 Warrior pellet 17.2
boil 1 min 0.5 Warrior pellet 17.2
Boil: 6.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes edit

Bitterness
61.1 IBU / 14 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

yeast
White Labs California Ale (WLP001)

Interesting. Recipe seems fine, but warrior hops are fairly neutral hops so I am curious to see how this tastes. Are you going to dry hop?

I have an oz. of Mt. Hood laying around would that be decent for dry hop? I really wish I would have gotten an oz. of Warrior and an oz. of Amarillo when at the lhbs.

you could use the mt hood, but personally I'd leave it as is so you can get a better idea of what warrior brings. its kinda subtle citrus from what I remember, and is generally better mixed.

as for the recipe, its personal preference, but next time I'd mash lower and half the crystal.

Thanks for the response dcp. I'll probably just leave it as is then. My original intention was to use simcoe but lhbs didn't have any. I want to do a few beers using a single type of hop so I see what they bring. Any suggestions for the next couple to use single hop types in an IPA or APA?

I love CTZ (Columbus, Tomahawk, or Zeus), but depends what you're looking for. Fortunately there's none you can really go wrong with. I'm trying to pick just a couple to list but theres too many that are good.

ok after thinking about it more, if I had to pick 5 for an american IPA I guess I'd go with: amarillo, centennial, columbus, nelson sauvin or riwaka, and simcoe (falconers flight if no simcoe)

I'll probably go with amarillo next time, i know they have it at the lhbs. Hopefully a memorial day brew session. I need to get the pipeline going again with my new kegerator.

12% crystal is too much in my opinion for an IPA, but warrior hops tend to be harsh so maybe it will provide some balance.

I love warrior hops for bittering, but not much as a flavor addition. I've never used them as aroma hops, but I do find them a bit harsh sometimes. If this tastes a bit harsh, some dryhopping with a different hop might help. I really like simcoe and amarillo, separately or together, for dryhopping.

Thanks for the input Yooper. I will have to do some thinking about what I'm going to do with this batch. Have a couple weeks till I will need to dry hop if i do dry hop. At least I know I have amarillo available locally.

I use Warrior frequently for bittering, but the one time I used it @ 15 mins, I had a harsh flavor in the beer, which I think was due to the late warrior addition (I had other late hops, so not sure if it was the Warrior or not)

Will be curiuos to know how this turns out...
:mug:
--LexusChris

Back