amber malt extract use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankstoneline

Reaction score
I searched and found a couple possibilities which I am intrigued by but was hoping for something a little different from. I found a recipe for an english brown and an ESB which would be fitting to brew for champions league finals, but had something else in mind.
Have a bunch of amber malt extract and was thinking maybe it could be used to do either a belgian or a barleywine, and was hoping for some recipe input. I was thinking maybe just convert the light extract in a partial mash to the amber, but then tone down the specialty grains some. my issue however is that I have no bearing on how much to tone it down.

Maybe something like:

6lbs amber DME
4lbs marris otter
1lb 2-row
2oz chocolate malt
6oz crystal 40L
6oz carapils

1oz nugget leaf at 60 minutes.

thoughts? recipe is partially based off what I've got, partially just sort of a shot in the dark based on other recipes I like and then some random "maybe this...?"

in the belgian department I have no ideas and am a little more hesitant to give it a try, so if anyone has ideas hit me.
thanks in advance

I think this is the right idea. That recipe looks nice to me, although I don't think you need both 2-row and MO. I don't think the carapils is needed.

For Belgians, you have all kinds of options because they are very loose with styles. Use the Amber DME, maybe some pilsener grains and perhaps Special B. You just won't be able to brew Belgian pales unless you went really low on extract.

Barleywines can use Amber as a base. Just add fewer specialty grains. Really, you mostly just can't do pilseners and stuff like that.

I guess I don't have an answer to your main question: exactly how much do you have to reduce the specialty grains? Briess amber has Munich and 60L Crystal, but I really don't know how much of each. Maybe 6 lbs of it have the equivalent of 8 oz Crystal and a pound of Munich. But that's a wild guess.

alright so maybe do 4lbs 2 row
6 lbs amber DME
2 oz chocolate malt
6 oz crystal 40L

another possibility:
a belgian style:
6 lbs amber DME
3 lbs pilsener malt
8 oz special B
6 oz crystal
1 lb candi sugar

The real question is what yeast you are going to use. Or is that question going to be answered after you've sorted out the grain bill?

I'm hitting the homebrew shop this afternoon, so it'll be decided then. I figure if I make 2 grocery lists then I can make a decision based on yeast availability/how i feel when i show up. Figured wyeast american ale yeast for the barley wine and a wyeast belgian strain if i decide to try out the belgian. thoughts?

Back