All grain peanut butter and jelly ale **PICS**

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawdanny

Reaction score
Amt Name Type # %/IBU

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.2 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.5 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 8.2 IBUs
6.50 oz pb2 Peanut butter powder (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 7 -

1.0 pkg California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -
13.00 oz pb2 secondary (Secondary 5.0 days) Other 9 -
5.00 lb Fresh strawberrys (Secondary 5.0 days) Other 10 -
1.00 tbsp strawberry extract (Secondary 1.0 days) Flavor 11 -

i am going to soak the 13oz of pb2 in van gogh peanut butter and jelly vodka for 24 hours

im also gonna blend up the fresh strawberrys and soak them aswell to kill anything nasties.

i plan on brewing this after xmas

if anyone has any suggestions please reply, i will be posting pictures step by step to show the progress

why ottis and not 2row? im fairly new to brewing thanks in advance

sorry i abandoned you. festivus and what not.

two row is your plain old brewing grain. it doesn't really have a flavor one way or another. most people would just say that it tastes like beer.

marris otter is an english variety of two row. it comes from a colder weather variety of barley. it tends to be roasted a bit more and has a more intense flavor than plain old two row pale.

brown malt is another english malt. it's the traditional grain in brown and nut brown ales. it has a nutty flavor and will bring up your malt flavors.

biscuit is a belgian malt. most people describe it as bready or like saltines. i like it in small doses when i want to intensify my malt flavors.

victory is a briess product. it's very similar to biscuit but a little bit lighter in roast. it will do all the same things biscuit does. in small doses it makes your beer seem more malty. in large doses it will make your beer very bready or saltine cracker like. like biscuit most reserve the heavy hand on this one for darker beers with complex grain bills.

check this out:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/English-Base-malt-comparison.html

spending more time on this i would do it more like an english brown. skip the brown malt for biscuit or victory.

9# maris otter
1# biscuit malt
.5# C40
.5# C60

mash 153.

skip the dex. in this beer a small amount of dex could be made up for with proper mash temps. i think mashing at 153 will give nice body. if you brew my recipe US05 should take it down to mid/high 1.010's. if you go with wlp007 you could probably see low 1.010's.

if you're adventurous you could try oven roasting your two row. don't do maris otter with this one though. say 350F for 20 minutes. conversely, they make peanut butter flavorings for beer. ;)

Thanks for the info I'm gonna brew this tommorow, I already have al the ingredients but decided to add 8oz of biscuit. I will post the out come and thanks again.

To each their own, but this sounds foul. With that said... I am intrigued.

Please update the results. Who knew there was peanut butter powder...

I think this sounds good, and take these suggestions with a grain of salt as I've read a ton of books but have only brewed for a short time.

I know it feels right to do it, but I'd skip the fresh strawberries all together, you're probably going to get very little contribution from them and they'll just make a big mess of everything and clog everything up, you have the extract already. If you must, up it to about 1.8-2 lbs per gallon, otherwise you're kind of wasting you time with them, they bleach out and become white and add very little if anything. I would secondary in a bucket with a sanitized paint strainer bag already in it before you add the fruit. I've used cherries and other fruit and it is a nightmare when it comes to racking, just pull the bag with the fruit out, and then bottle. You might want to skip the 15 minute hops too if you want the pb and j to stand out. Imagine a PB&J and hops sandwich, or basil or something, not quite right.

You might want to switch the bittering hop to Saaz, it seems to be the bittering hop of choice for award winning fruit beer. I checked these against the fruit beers chapter Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels and I talked to my local brewer before making a couple of fruit beers in the past, so that's where my info is mostly from, again just trying to help, feel free to ignore.

I'll bet head retention will be an issue. I looked up pb2. It has 85% less fat than regular peanut butter. That leaves 15%

I still think you should do it. Maybe add some oats.

33jizkk.jpg
[/IMG]
2mg5y6f.jpg
b7018y.jpg
[/IMG]

So i added 3.25 oz of PB2@ 60min boil
6.50oz of PB2 @ 10mins

the OG was 1.050 tasted alittle peanut butter

after the primary i am going to add 6.50oz of PB2 that was soaked in 2 cups of PB&J vodka

when i bought the vodka i noticed its with raspberries so im gonna swap out the strawberrys for raspberries and raspberry extract ill post the results

2uzb40l.jpg
[/IMG]

So today i racked my beer and added the pb2 that was soaked in PB&J Vodka for about a week, and 1.87LBS of organic raspberries also soaked in alittle PB&J vodka for about 30mins, the FG BEFORE i added the rasberries and rest of pb2 was 1.010 , so my abv was 5.24 i will get an updated in 10 days! photos are attached!
and i also add 1lb of oats to the grain bill
6ifb4n.jpg
[/IMG]
16apn3m.jpg
[/IMG]
34g83cy.jpg
[/IMG]
2504ak9.jpg
[/IMG]

A brewery here in Michigan, Short's Brewery, makes a PB&J beer. Actually, they make a lot of "weird" beers including a Chips and Salsa beer that tastes EXACTLY like...well...chips and salsa. It's actually quite tasty, albeit a one and done beer.

I look forward to hearing how it tastes.

Short's Brewery PB&J

so its done in the secondary! i did add peanut extract and rasberry extract, very little , the FG is 1.010 and it taste very very good! just like pb&J cant wait to carb this bad boy up, ill post photos

Yes it's amazing so far..., once I bottle it and it carbs up I'll post review

I would be very interested in tying to make this. Please update the recipe to include the maris otter and/or any other changes you made in the recipe. The picture of it in the carboy looks spectacular. I would love to try some.

so i bottled it and its been only a few days i just had to try it, its not carbed up of course but its is amazing! i will post everything for you..... and a photo of when its carved

Thank you I'll be looking forward to trying this once I finish the purple haze clone I concocted. Not sure how that one will turn out, but if it is bad at least I will have this to be excited about. :D

I've been on an unusual beer recipe kick as of late. This might just round out the list. Can't wait to see how this one finishes. Cheers!

How is this carbed up? This sounds amazing I would love to brew this one. We would all love an updated recipe! Cheers!

Yes, if *you* bothered to read the posts, you will notice a lot of changes that were recommended, however the OP never said if he followed those changes or not. I too am curious of the final recipie, it sounds great.

Any update on this rawdanny? I'm looking to make a grape version of this. I'm only setup to do extract batches, so if anyone else has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

Made this beer a long time ago, it was delicious. It was more of a "dessert beer" though, you couldn't really have more than one as it was pretty rich. I may cut down on the PB2 next time I brew it. After a long time (about one year), the strawberry flavor disappeared.

Anyway, below is a "label" I made for this beer. I don't really label my bottles, persay, it's more of a hanging tag. I just punch a hole in the top of the tag and wrap it around the neck of the bottle with twine. I put the design on the front and the beer description on the back, along with my brewery name and ABV.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446128021.177650.jpg

Back