Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Alcohol Booster Addititves

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
robklein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Alcohol Booster Addititves

Is anyone knowledgeable about the the additives to boost the alcohol content by 1%. I enjoy my beers stronger, but i would rather not sacrifice flavor for extra alcohol. Along with that, does it really boost by 1%? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

seriously you should just adjust your recipes by adding extra fermentable, more malt extract or if you are making a light beer rice syrup solids. Of course there is the possibility of just dumping some cheap vodka in there that really boosts the ABV pretty quickly.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 11-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I know that austinhomebrew.com sells a 1% booster with their kits. I think he said it was DME and dextrose, but I'm not certain.

I would just adjust the original recipe, if I wasn't doing a kit.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I know that austinhomebrew.com sells a 1% booster with their kits. I think he said it was DME and dextrose, but I'm not certain.
I jam on these once in a while. If you really want to get Forrest going, Ask him if it's just dextrose! HA HA HA!

Seriously. It's a great way to bump the %abv, and it's not like you're using it to turn your beer into vodka or anything, so don't be giving us any grief about using it to just make swill!

Austin Home Brew sells the stuff for $2 and it's a great, cost effective, and reliable way to gain 1% abv, which really doesn't sound like much, JUST REMEMBER that in a 4% beer, that's a 25% increase!

Quick Reply