Aged Ingredients Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carros

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I thought I had found a pretty good deal on Craig’s list, they had a brewers best brewing equipment kit advertised for $20. So I figured I would pick it up since I broke my hydrometer last weekend, and who couldn't use some more fermenters. So when I get there to pick it up, he brings out the standard kit, plus a 5 gallon glass carboy and an extract kit. So I thought hey not bad for 20 bucks.

img_1019-55258.jpg

My question is, from looking at the paperwork that was with the kit I think it was purchased in 2008. I think that I recall that the malt extract would only really get darker in color with age, but if age has other effects on it please let me know. The yeast says it expired in 2009 so I'm not going to bother with that. The hops I am not sure of either, one package is still sealed and the other is just in a ziploc baggy. If I am thinking correctly on hops they lose flavor, aroma and bittering potential as they age, so I am thinking that the ones in the ziploc bag are probably not worth using. But I am wondering if the ones that are sealed would still be good. If anyone has experience with aged hops I would appreciate your advice.

img_1021-55259.jpg

Give the extract a whirl. Probably produce a decent beer; just a bit darker than planned.

Hops: Hops can deteriorate quickly if not stored properly. I would not use them for a normal beer. I'd recommend putting them away somewhere dry and just leaving them. Some day, if you ever want to make a sour beer, these would be perfect for that.

Back