Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Advice for a beginner, please?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
KarenHauck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Advice for a beginner, please?

I just started home brewing. I don't really like beer very much, but my husband does. I began this as a gift to him. I bought the "kit" of supplies, and let him chose "the flavour!" He chose Russian Imperial Ale. Ok, maybe not the best first choice. It spent five weeks in the fermenter. And I bottled it nine days ago. It looks good, very clear. He taste it as I was bottling, before carbonation and says it will be really good!! I'm happy about that, but am now reading that it musT bottle condition for rather a long time. His birthday is early November, maybe by then!!
In the meantime, is there a good, fairly hoppy ale that I can make that will be drinkable sooner?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Congrats on your first batch! You might try Dead Ringer from northernbrewer.com.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
StompingClover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on the deadringer from northern brewer. Midwest supplies also has one called hop cult you should take a look at.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
Dovage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I might be wrong, I'm a noob too, but 5 weeks in the fermentor and 4 Months in the bottle seem like plenty to me. It will at least be carbed and taste good. I've yet to brew a RIS, so it may need more time to reach it's peak. Not sure I could wait much longer.

Brewing since January 2013 BIAB
Beer, the cause of and answer to all of life's problems-Homer J. Simpson
Primary- Elephant Gun IPA
Bottled- Handy Men IPA
Residual Boulder Brown Ale

Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 569 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 156

A Russian Imperial is probably a big beer that will do better with long aging (several months in the bottles) A pale ale or an IPA (more hoppy) should be ready long before the R.I. is ready.

For something simple I liked Northern Brewer's Chinook IPA.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Austinhomebrew.com has free shipping on most of their kits now and they have a VERY large selection. Look under the IPA section and you're sure to find one you like. Or if your husband likes a particular commercial brew they have a large selection of clone recipes as well.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
KarenHauck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I really appreciate the advice! I think the thing that most disappoints me is that I had no idea it would be so long for this particular beer. I got the ingredients , in a box, from Brewer's Best. The outside of the box was marked Russian Imperial Ale. The instructions inside are marked imperial Pale Ale. Not being a beer drinker, I don't know if those are the same or different.
The instructions said nothing about how long to leave in the fermenter. "The guy at the store" said four weeks. It ended up being about five and a half, he was sold out of bottles. The instructions said to bottle condition for maybe two weeks. Or "it might take longer." Very non-specific! The "guy at the store" said a week to ten days to bottle condition. It's been ten days and is no where near carbonated! And last night I finally started reading online and found it could be a few months.
It's ok, I just wish I had known!
So I want to do something else that Hal will like, that won't take quite so long. On the side for Adventures in Homebrewing, we found Adventures Amber Ale that he thought sounded good. Before I buy it, any comments?
I'm not even close to giving up on this! If anything, I'm more determined!!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
KarenHauck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The Chinook IPA sounds promising. Still shopping, though!!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I would try a bottle much sooner- I would bet it will be tasty soon, but continue to get better in the bottle as it ages. As a first batch, you may have had some issues with fermentation temperature control and using enough yeast (two of the biggest problems for beginners) so there may be some slight off-flavors you might want to mellow out in the bottle. I say at least try one or two in the coming weeks to see how things turned out. A well made beer, even a big alcoholic one, can be ready to drink just a few weeks after it goes into the bottle. Your beer may take a little longer than most to carbonate, but it shouldn't be months and months.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 21

An Imperial really needs to sit in the fermenter and age for months, then you bottle it......It's a big beer.

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Quick Reply