Adding a touch of orange color to IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrojanAnteater

Reaction score
I wanted to add a *hint* of orange to my IPA and was wondering if a 1/4 lb of Munich 10L would be wise and sufficient, and if not, what is recommended.

Here is my malt base (partial mash)- 5 gallon batch
4 lbs Light DME
1.5 lbs American Pale Two-Row
0.5 lbs Crystal 40L
0.5 lbs Carapils
1.0 lbs Cane Sugar

Also, unrelated question- this one is about yeast. Given a certain yeast's attenuation rate, how can you use the same yeast on a bigger OG and still get a beer as dry as when starting with a lower OG. ie- if I brewed an IPA with WLP001 and went from 1.060 to 1.012, how can I brew a DIPA with an OG of 1.080 for instance, and get that sucker down to 1.012-.015. I hate IPA's that finish with too much residual sweetness and when I brew a DIPA I want a fairly dry beer, but I still want to use CA Ale yeast. Is it just all about adding more simple sugars? And does Beersmith account for this fact of adding more simple sugars in it's FG estimate?

Thanks for any help!

I would just add orange rinds from one orange or half of one in the secondary. It's pretty potent stuff.
Just scrap the outside skin, you don't want any white pith, chop it up and add it in.

For an orange color, try using 1/2 to 1 pound of biscuit or victory malt. These malts add a nice complexity to the brew too....
The dry IPA question is something that I think a lot of us have been grappling with. There's no single easy answer (in my experience), but there's a couple of things you can do to help the yeast.
1. Pitch twice as much yeast as you normally would. It's really hard to overpitch.
2. Mash your grains low, around 148 degrees, to give you a more fermentable wort.
3. Substitute some cane or corn sugar for the DME. I wouldn't go with more than 2 pounds though. That cidery taste from using too much is very distinct! The simple sugars are already broken down, so they ferment out more complete.

Hope this all helps!!!:mug:

Drying it out while using DME is hard as you can only convert the fermentable portion of the extract, and some extracts are more fermentable than others. The only suggestion would be to use very little crystal, but be careful or the beer becomes very non-descript or a hop tea (done that one only once)

Back