Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Adding a second yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
czeknere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding a second yeast?

Brewed the Brewer's Best German Altbier kit yesterday. I was worried from the beginning that the kit was old (bought the kit from a shop that I had never been to before and it was obvious they didn't care too much about the hobby), and I was worried that the yeast might have been too old (noticed the dust on top of the box when I got out to my car).

Because of my worrying today, no activity in the airlock, and the fact that I happened to be in the area of Keystone Homebrew shop, I picked up a Wyeast German Ale smack-pack. Well an hour ago, the airlock started bubbling slowly and my worries have subsided, but now that I have the extra yeast...would it change anything if I added it? The yeast that came with the kit didn't say which strain it was, simply: "Munton's Dried Active Brewing Yeast." Would there be any benefits from adding the German Ale yeast, what about downsides? Will it any difference at all?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by czeknere View Post
Brewed the Brewer's Best German Altbier kit yesterday. I was worried from the beginning that the kit was old (bought the kit from a shop that I had never been to before and it was obvious they didn't care too much about the hobby), and I was worried that the yeast might have been too old (noticed the dust on top of the box when I got out to my car).

Because of my worrying today, no activity in the airlock, and the fact that I happened to be in the area of Keystone Homebrew shop, I picked up a Wyeast German Ale smack-pack. Well an hour ago, the airlock started bubbling slowly and my worries have subsided, but now that I have the extra yeast...would it change anything if I added it? The yeast that came with the kit didn't say which strain it was, simply: "Munton's Dried Active Brewing Yeast." Would there be any benefits from adding the German Ale yeast, what about downsides? Will it any difference at all?
Since the Munton's is going, I think pitching the expensive liquid yeast would be a waste. I'd stick the Wyeast in the fridge, and make another brew soon that could use that nice smack-pack.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:52 AM   #3
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Since the Munton's is going, I think pitching the expensive liquid yeast would be a waste. I'd stick the Wyeast in the fridge, and make another brew soon that could use that nice smack-pack.
Nothing like an excuse for another batch!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Take a read of this.....it will give you an idea of what you should consideer doing if you are worried.

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-25-2008, 03:55 AM   #5
czeknere
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Nothing like an excuse for another batch!
Quite true! Thanks for all of the advice, it's much appreciated!

Quick Reply