Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Is it 8oz, or 8oz?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Chipster27
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Is it 8oz, or 8oz?!?

About a 6 weeks ago I brewed a chocolate porter. Recipe called for 8oz of unsweetened chocolate. I went to my local grocery store and there on the shelf was a package of Hersheys unsweetened chocolate in an 8oz package! Perfect! I dumped the whole package in my wort and proceeded with the rest of the brewing process.
Well at the time it seemed like a lot of chocolate. As it went through fermentation there was a lot if chocolate settleing. I kegged it about 4 weeks ago and when I go to pull a drink I get a glass of what can best be described as a glas if chocolate beverage with the consistency of a milkshake.

I am now thinking the 8oz might have been by volume, as in a cup, not by weight, as stated on the package.

What do you guys think? How can I remedy this? Its a 5 gallon batch so I was thinking about doing a 10 gallon porter then pulling from the top of this 5 and mixing them to dilute the chocolate.

Any other ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
markcurling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Definitely 8oz by weight because ounce is a measure of weight, it's very unlikely to mean 'the volume of 8oz of water in chocolate'.

Did you use any finings? There are a lot of fats and proteins in chocolate, so perhaps it just needs extra long to condition? Just a guess...

Old 12-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would not put any chocolate in my beer because of the oils in it. Cocoa powder would be a better option. What did you put in, was it chocolate (as in solid) or cocoa powder? I have put 8 ozs of cocoa powder in beers before and thought that it wasn't enough.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't know much about adding choc to brews, though I am planning a choc porter some time into 2011. In my reading, it seems like you CAN add blocks of choc despite the issue of the oils. From what I understand, and anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but with a number of very careful rackings below the 'oil slick' you should be able to get fairly good beer. Let HBT know how it works out - though I know I will still just use cocoa powder when I experiment.

B

Old 12-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Chipster27
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
What did you put in, was it chocolate (as in solid) or cocoa powder? I have put 8 ozs of cocoa powder in beers before and thought that it wasn't enough.
Sorry, it was cocoa powder. I'm going to let it sit some more and see what else settles out.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

let it sit and settle. from my experience chocolate beers change greatly over time.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Rowdy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i brewed my chocolate stout a year ago and it is much better today.
i used the same 8oz package you are talking about and it took alot more time in primary to settle. my next chocolate beer i will secondary before bottling..

Cruiscín Lán Grúdlann
In wine there is wisdom, In beer there is freedom, In water there is bacteria.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I can't imagine it was asking for 8 fluid ounces for chocolate. Sometimes it's hard to know, but I usually look at the item and figure, how would a sane person measure this. If it's liquid, fluid ounces, anything else, weight ounces. Of course, I've seen sugar measurements that clearly wanted a cup of sugar, but were telling me to add 8 ounces. Just say a cup people!!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Chipster27
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I can't imagine it was asking for 8 fluid ounces for chocolate.
You're right it didn't call for 8 fluid oz, but when you measure chocolate for a glass of milk or hot chocolate you measure by the tablespoon, which is also a measure of liquid so I started to doubt myself

I just put it in the fridge today and will take a sample every week to see how it does. It seems to be getting better.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipster27 View Post
You're right it didn't call for 8 fluid oz, but when you measure chocolate for a glass of milk or hot chocolate you measure by the tablespoon, which is also a measure of liquid so I started to doubt myself
Trust me, I've been unsure on a number of occasions myself. In truth, I don't think SWMBO fully grasps the difference. She'll ask me, "How much is 16 ounces?" I respond, "Fluid ounces or by weight?" She just looks at me with a blank expression.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply