1L SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donovanmaxwell

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get into SMaSH brewing to get more familiar with various hops. After watching a video this evening where the owner of New Glarus Brewing had 6 test batches (appeared to be 2L erlenmeyer flasks) going at one time on his stove, I got a little inspired.

I'm thinking that may be a convenient, low cost way to get into this. I do realize it's the same amount of work for a larger batch. This would, however, give me something fun to do in the evenings after work that isn't going to cost a whole lot. My wife and I recently decided it's finally time to have a baby (just celebrated our 10th anniversary), so cheap is the name of the game. I've just about got my all-grain rig materials assembled, so that will help on full scale batch cost.

Here is what I am thinking:

1 Liter batch.
0.5lb light or amber DME
0.4oz Cascade @ 60 mins
0.15oz Cascade @ 60 mins
0.15oz Cascade @ 20 mins
0.15oz Cascade @ 10 mins
0.15oz Cascade @ 5 mins
0.15oz Cascade @ flameout
Safalale US-05 yeast.

Sound like a good place to start? I figure easy measurements and I like a really hoppy beer, so it shouldn't be too overpowering.

Also, I think the single pack of yeast, while cheap, is over-pitching by a LOT. Can I measure the pack on a scale, estimate the difference between actual weight and product weight (written on package), divide that by say 10, pitch that amount, then seal the pack back up with scotch tape and toss it back in the fridge?

That is going to be an intense hop flavor.... To give you an idea, scaling up to 5 gallons that's 7.7oz of hops for the first addition and nearly 3 oz of hops for each other addition.. or over a pound of hops for five gallons.

Try around 0.1 oz for each addition and that will bring it close to an imperial ipa range of ibu, just slightly more than the max.

and a 10th of a packet should still be more than enough yeast.

I didn't think about that. Should have started with a 5gal recipe and divided down. Thanks for the help! I'll post up results once I've brewed and bottled.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Sorry, been a little busy with various projects lately and this got put on the back burner. Though I do have plenty of DME and a couple packets of US-05 sitting around. Already need to run by my LHBS one day this week, so I'll pick up some Cascade and a few stoppers/airlocks for my 64oz growlers. I'll try and get it done Thursday evening and post up some pics and info for yall.

I just cracked open the first bottle of a pale ale I dry hopped with Cascade and it came out pretty good. So maybe that'll help light a fire underneath me.

Ran some numbers this morning. My plan is to use 5.5oz extra light DME, a total of 0.15oz of hops (0.05oz @ 60, 20 & 5 mins). I figure, don't make it more complicated then it needs to be.

According to the calculator I used I need 10 billion cells. So I'm going to sanitize a glass cup, tare it and measure the weight of the yeast, divide by 10 and reseal the yeast packet and put it inside a sanitized zip lock bag.

Latest posts

Back