Tubing for hot wort transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar79

Reaction score
I picked up some clear vinyl braided tubing at home depot to go from the hot wort to the wort chiller. Will this type of tubing be sufficient for the transfer? Both local homebrew shops did not have high temp tubing in stock at the time so one guy recommended just buying it from the hardware store. Just want to make sure vinyl will hold up and not give off and off flavors or anything

Vinyl tubing is not designed for hot transfer. Either thermoplastic tubing or silicone tubing for hot transfer would be best.

Cut a inch or two off and boil it in the microwave for a bit, let it cool and taste / smell the water.

I use the Thermosplastic and I think its "OK". When I upgrade to a pump and Quick Disconnects I will be going with Silicone for the streatch factor. I used Vinyl for a while but I personnaly had problems with hot water/fluid transfers.

I use Silicone tubing. No problems what so ever with it IF you get the right stuff. I'd suggest securing it from morebeer.com. They are a lot cheaper than McMaster. I once ordered some from another vendor and it turned out to be fairly rigid and near opaque - Not good!

BTW I don't need to use hose clamps with it. It stays on the hose barbs very well.

People sometimes make the comment when using an inappropriate item, such as cheap vinyl tubing for hot transfer that so far they have had no issues or problems. However how exactly do you measure the level of toxicity that you've ingested over the short term vs. 30 years down the road when you have some illness borne from ingesting plastics that were not heat stable.

Believe some dude working in the LHBS or follow the manufacturers temperature guidelines? Buy the thermoplastic or silicone tubing, it's the right stuff and will last a lot longer so the actual cost is not an issue.

The reinforced vinyl tubing I have is FDA food grade up to something like 158F. So it should be OK for mash temps. I have been using an immersion chiller, so it's even cooler when it comes out of the kettle.

Darkstar79
The silicone tube sold through vendors here, 1/2" ID 3/4" OD, is very nice material, and will last a long long time. There is also a 3/8 ID version. It goes for about $2 a foot but it is worth it. It is food grade and temp resistant way above boil temps.
bargainfittings.com
austinhomebrew.com
brewmasterswarehouse.com

People sometimes make the comment when using an inappropriate item, such as cheap vinyl tubing for hot transfer that so far they have had no issues or problems. However how exactly do you measure the level of toxicity that you've ingested over the short term vs. 30 years down the road when you have some illness borne from ingesting plastics that were not heat stable.

Believe some dude working in the LHBS or follow the manufacturers temperature guidelines? Buy the thermoplastic or silicone tubing, it's the right stuff and will last a lot longer so the actual cost is not an issue.

You are so right. I am sure there were those who said they had no immediate problems using Asbestos only to get asbestosis and die years later. There is no way to know the harm from long time exposure. Follow the manufacturers recommendation and if you don't follow the manufacturers recommendations, it's best to keep your mouth shut about it.

It's funny how much we worry about the toxicity levels of tubing, when I would say that 70% of homebrewers (a very rough guess) use plastic coolers as their MLT's. With that being said, doesn't anyone ever wonder what kind of toxins we are ingesting from mashing at high temps in what was for all practical purposes, not designed for mashing. ;)

It's funny how much we worry about the toxicity levels of tubing, when I would say that 70% of homebrewers (a very rough guess) use plastic coolers as their MLT's. With that being said, doesn't anyone ever wonder what kind of toxins we are ingesting from mashing at high temps in what was for all practical purposes, not designed for mashing. ;)
Hmmmmm.....

You resurrect a post that is over a year old to interject your comments???

Hmmmmm.....

You resurrect a post that is over a year old to interject your comments???

Yeah, that's what forums are for richard. ;) Besides, it's a valid point that even I would like to know more info on, and its related to the OP. So back off yo!

said it once and ill say it probably many more times- vinyl has no place in a brewery.

there is a difference between the right tool for the job, and a tool that will "sort of work". vinyl tubing is one of those things that will "sort of work". if you break a window on your house, duct tape will "sort of work" to fix it. if you break a carboy and need some place to put your wort, empty milk jugs will "sort of work" as storage. none of these things are fantastic, but work if no other option is available.

will vinyl tubing instantly turn your beer into an undrinkable poisonous fluid? no.
is it the right type of material you want to be using, if given the option? no.
are there much better, alternative materials to use? yes, many.

OK, really...

We're arguing about trace amounts of one chemical vs trace amounts of another chemical?

And we're making beer? Some of us making pretty strong beer?

I fully expect that multiple decades of regular alcohol consumption will take me out long before a little bit of this chemical here, or a little bit of that chemical there will.

Then again, the emphysema from a few decades of smoking will probably even beat that to the punch, based on my family history (which is full of both heavy smoking and heavy drinking. I've got a pretty good idea what my genetic makeup will fall prey to).

And who knows what's in my tap water, or even what half of the additives in the food we buy from the grocery store are?

I dunno. Not trying to be an ******* or anything, but we're a group of people who all produce beer in fairly large quantities, a good portion of us probably smoke a cigarette or cigar from time to time, and I know I personally love a nice, fatty porterhouse cooked on a carcinogen producing grill, and yes, wrap that ***** up in bacon if you don't mind. :mug:

Just seems a little odd to me that we're getting all excited about the health effects of running some hot water through a plastic tube....

True true....but I think that many are wondering if "a little chemical here" and "a little chemical there" is actually "a LOT of chemical here, and a LOT of chemical there" if they are using non-food grade toxic leaching equipment in their brewing process. Sure, there are many things out there that will probably make us cash in our chips a bit faster than we were supposed to, but why say "**** it" when there are options out there to prevent it. Plus, I think you are making a pretty grand assumption that every homebrewer is a beer guzzling alcoholic...why can't we just be "casual consumers" of our homemade masterpiece. Anyway, I get where you're coming from, but it seems like you're brining a "who cares" attitude to a topic that definitely has some relevance to people that are concerned about what could possibly be leaching into their beers.

Back