thinking big... Just goofing with ideas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
ok, so if i got 3 135gallon kettles to make "slightly larger" batches how could I go about cooling the wort? How could I heat the water? How big of a pump would I need to move the wort around? And where would a person go about finding something to ferment in?

You are my new best friend :)

I just ordered 50' of 3/8" copper from coppertubingsales.com for $50 shipped to make a counterflow chiller like the one shown here.
I'm hoping this will be adequate to cool large batches fairly quickly. If it doesn't flow fast enough, I think I'll scale it up to 3/4" tubing. I've thought about a plate chiller, but I've heard they are difficult to clean.

I've researched the best way to boil mass volumes of water. Currently, I feel that electric heating elements installed directly to the brewpot would be the simplest solution, but requires some serious power (probably like a dedicated 50a 240v circuit). I've also thought about installing a flue through the brewpot like on this thread.

I'm sure that a SS conical fermenter would be ideal, but MDPE plastic tanks are a LOT cheaper. If I was ordering a tank online I'd get a plastic conical fermenter from Plastic Mart
I'm going to be starting with rectangular shaped PE tanks (RV fresh water tanks) because I can get them for cheap.

I'm told that large fermenters create a lot of excess heat, so I think I'm going to design a homemade "glycol chiller", but that'll be another thread...

Back