Super Market Type refridgerator to Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CidahMastah

Reaction score
I recently came into a smaller version of a supermarket refridge (you know open air with no front door). You could probably put a couple cases of drinks in it. Internal dimensions might be 14 inches deep 4 ft high 20 inches wide or so. I got to thinking that even this thing is smaller sized, I might be able to use this for a fermentation chamber build. Does anyone see any issues with putting an insulated coffin extension on this? I know it was designed to be used without a door on the front, but I would think Computer fan or similar and a temp controller might allow this to be a great fermentation chamber.

Thoughts? Concerns?

I have a minifridge at my disposal too, but I thought this might actually work better since these are designed to constantly run.

yeah, I'm not sure you are going to find much advice on this one. If it is the size you are looking for, I don't see why you couldn't use it with a controller. Enclosing the compartment would be the trick, through. I'm envisioning some sort of plywood door with hinges on the top. You would lift up from the bottom of the door (maybe use a couple of those piston door holders?) to access the compartment?

Cool find!

Yeah I figure you are right about the lack of advice. I know I will likely just give it a go!

You should see this thing. It's exterior is in the shape of a giant milk bottle. The LHBS was throwing it out and a buddy grabbed it for me. They said it worked and it might even hold a single fermenter. However I do doubles, so I need the thing to hold at least one demijohn.

Good idea with the pistons. Since it was for free, I can add hardware to it without feeling too bad about it the added cost :)

Get some doors on it and start there. It'll work as is and should hold product(or your beer) at 41* or less. Open it's going to use about 2x the energy as an enclosed one would. Any pictures?

Get some doors on it and start there. It'll work as is and should hold product(or your beer) at 41* or less. Open it's going to use about 2x the energy as an enclosed one would. Any pictures?

cool - I will get a photo up here - it is hilarious!

Milk jug fermentation chamber

downsize.jpg

That's awesome!

You know I was just thinking...............some of those open fridges have plastic strips over the opening, so you can reach it, but it still stays covered to keep the cold air in. You may be able to just put something over the opening to do a quick/easy door system.

That thing is just waiting for a cool Beer Bottle Label to be painted on it :rockin:

Haha - that is what I told my wife. She hates milk and didn't want me to take the refridge. I was like, let's just give it a long neck and make it a beer bottle. It is just over 6 foot tall though as is!

That's awesome!

You know I was just thinking...............some of those open fridges have plastic strips over the opening, so you can reach it, but it still stays covered to keep the cold air in. You may be able to just put something over the opening to do a quick/easy door system.

Right now I am debating taking some insulation (the dense stuff at HD) and cutting out a door, or just using plexi glass or similar on hinges.

If I go the fermentation chamber route things will change for sure because I want to be able to ferment in a big demijohn, which won't fit in there. The thing with using 2 cornies is... they will blow off a lot of beer because I usually do 11G batches....

Right now I am considering building a table (enclosed, insulated box on top with 1 open side); open side will mate up with the front of the milk jug using rubber gaskets (temporary attachment). When it is not used as a fermentation chamber I could disconnect the table attachment and put on a plexi glass door or similar to use it as a general refridge.

All kinds of ideas are flying though... I mean as a dedicated kegerator alone for a party... it has casters and easily holds two cornies. Just a face and taps !

Well I know that many people will be heartbroken... However I decided to break down the milk jug. Since it was pop riveted on it was a snap.

I found it to be a free and clear rectangle inner shape and so I basically had to insulate it and give it a door. I put some framing on itso I can dress it up when the time comes, if necessary.

Put the controller on it yesterday and it looks like this bad boy taps out at 43-44F max, so it looks like I have a lagering refirdge for fermentation, or potentially a nice looking semi portable kegerator in the making.

I tried to find the set point on the compressor to dial it back so I could get it to go to 32F but I couldn't find it (if anyone has that link handy for me please post it :). So for now,unfortunately I am limited in my 32-34F lagering to another refridge I have that isn't temp controlled.

enjoy the crappy cell phone pic!

downsize.jpg

Back