Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Siphoning with the Carboy Cap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #111
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I love carboy caps for siphoning but I do not seem to get a "perfect" seal for fermenting. My proof is no bubbles in the air lock but if I switch to standard bung I get bubbles. I tried zip ties and even cranked hard on a piece of wire...no luck...any suggestions?

Everyone has to walk their own path as a brewer. Each home brewer must consider time, cost, feasibility, and results of their efforts. If a homebrewer can strike a happy balance between those 4 aspects, then they are doing it right regardless of the brewing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone... This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #112
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Off topic, but I was browsing online today and came across this item and got a chuckle out of it.

http://labelpeelers.com/blow-off-tubing-siphon-hose1inch-per-ft-p-2579.html

Does that photo look familiar?

Old 08-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #113
sailman
Recipes 

I haven't been around for a while but I think it looks like I've been there before.

Bottled: Cherry Wheat
Bottled: Raspberry Wheat
Bottled: Traditional Mead
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale

Fermentor (2): Common Cider

Secondary: Holiday Cider

Old 08-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #114
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Wow, man! Good to hear from you again!

Old 12-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #115
sdclong
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Not a good night for me. I had broken my old trusty auto siphon, so I ordered a "Sterile Siphon Starter"... same principle as this technique, except you blow into a filter. The tutorial video made it look so easy. Try as I might, I could NOT get the siphon to hold. I finally got so pissed off I just picked up the carboy and dumped the beer into the bottling bucket... I'm sure this batch is all f'd up. Waste of a perfectly good Porter. I will be getting a new auto siphon asap.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #116
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

How does blowing into your carboy not contaminate the beer? Does that potentially add bacteria?

I want to get the best system setup as I don't have an auto-siphon, but don't know if I trust the blowing aspect? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Lorne

Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #117
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I have a few "theories"...
1) I try to expel a minimum of air (and of course moisture) in...just enough to get the beer up and over the top...when you stop exhaling air rushes back out of the tube you exhaled into
2) I use about 18" of tubing to exhale into and I've starsan-ed it. You could use more and your breath might never reach the carboy (??)
3) There should be a major blanket of CO2 laying on top of the beer plus lets say a bad droplet does get in...seems like it'll most likely stay on top of the beer and odds are reasonable that it'll not be siphoned over (I know, gross thought nonetheless!)
4) It has been discussed elsewhere in these forums that infection at bottling (or transferring to secondary) is a lot less likely than unfermented wort (people put all kinds of "unsanitized" stuff into secondaries like hops and citrus rinds)

Since my post almost a year ago (above) I have learned to push down hard on the carboy cap to create a much more airtight seal for the moment. Also, if siphoning into a carboy you can do the same by inhaling to create a vacuum...but be ready for the rush of air INTO the carboy when you stop inhaling (or just pinch the tube until the vacuum is gone because of the liquid coming over into the carboy...altho frankly I've not bothered.)

You could always "brush your breath" with a shot beforehand! (just to be safe of course)

I have been doing this for about 30 batches and have not had a single infection (Knock on wood). I've even done it when siphoning wort from boil kettle to primary carboy (arguably the most dangerous moment for infection...but you are inhaling to create vacuum)

That said...one of these days I'll buy an autosiphon...although I feel like I read about a lot of them being broken.

Everyone has to walk their own path as a brewer. Each home brewer must consider time, cost, feasibility, and results of their efforts. If a homebrewer can strike a happy balance between those 4 aspects, then they are doing it right regardless of the brewing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone... This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #118
shetc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Just used this technique for the first time in order to move 5 gallons of Irish stout from my carboy to the bottling bucket. Worked liked a charm, brilliant! Thanks!

Old 11-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #119
bigskygreg
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got my sterile siphon starter from MB and have used it a few times so far. I like it much better than my auto siphon. Easier to clean, faster, cane is held in place, etc. I'm still having a hard time getting past blowing into my beer, but hoping that the last three batches are infection free, then I'm sold! I am using a inline filter to blow through, but still it still feels weird to blow potential nasties anywhere bear my beer.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #120
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I find a mouth wash of vodka just before get's past this fear!
I just find myself siphoning all day.

iijakii Likes This 

Quick Reply