Shattered Carboy Paranoia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe4life

Reaction score
One of my glass carboys fell over last night and shattered on the floor while it was drying. Meh.

99% of the break was isolated to the area immediately where it was drying.

I had roughly 4 cases of uncovered empty bottles sitting upright on the floor and several carboys filled with star san sitting about 6 or 7 feet away from the break area.

I'm worried about tiny little glass shards that may have went airborne and landed in the bottles or carboys. They would have sunk to the bottom of the carboys.

What would you do in this situation - trash all of the bottles and carboys? I don't really want to throw anything away. Please let me know if I'm being hyper paranoid, I want to simply rinse everything off and be done with it.

I'd rinse them out and not worry any more about it. Its doubtful that a piece could make it in a glass, and one that did will come out in a good rinse

Please let me know if I'm being hyper paranoid, I want to simply rinse everything off and be done with it.

Yes, you are paranoid to the point of needing to be institutionalized. Rinse them off and be on your way.

_

Back