scorching HELP!! cannot remove spot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyd49

Reaction score
I scorched my mash tun badly and cannot get the burn off. My friend were brewing a little buzzed one day and we pre heated the mash tun and then dropped dry crushed grain in and it caught on fire and since there has been that scorched spot. I scrubbed with pbw, shear 250 and soaked for days at a time. any suggestions besides a metal scrubbie??? thanks

Have you tried Barkeeper's Friend at all? Post some pics if you have them, that might help with suggestions.

That's sucks...hate to be you

Just kidding. I've scorched sugar in pots when maple syruping. That is ridiculously hard to get out. I have boiled water in the pot for several hours then scrubbed immediately afterward. After doing that about 3-4 times, you can get most of it off.
I bet your friend won't be around to help either:) He's just like,"ah man, that sucks...see ya"

If it is really bad and BKF does not work, you can use a brass brush in a power drill. You do not want to use steel as it will embed in the pot and rust.

I had a bad scorch tried BKF, boiling water with tons of baking soda, stainless steel scrubbie with BKF, nothing worked. Then I came across the drill powered 3m scotch brite pads I use to remove stuck gaskets on engines. Grabbed my drill, a new pad, some water and BKF, took less than 5 min and very little elbow grease.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPZYCM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Last edited by a moderator:
Back