Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Safety of Using Propane Burner Indoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #31
Søren T
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well, I'm one of the guys doing it indoors - in the cellar. But I do it with both at door and a window open during the whole process.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #32
brewmonk
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 84

I built a room around the old laundry hookups, will vent through the, ...uh... vent.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:22 AM   #33
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have a number of years experience using propane. We use it from a 1K gal. bulk tank to heat our house, the kitchen cooktop, and the water heater. I have installed several demand type propane water heaters over 35 years. We use standard 20 lb. propane cylinders on our grill and on the burner I use to brew in the (detached) garage.

Although we have a CO detector in the house, I consider the risks of burning propane indoors (except for the appliances mentioned above) to be an unwarranted risk, regardless of how much ventilation is provided.

I pass.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #34
brewmonk
Recipes 

As far as the exceptions "for the appliances mentioned above", does anyone know if a wok burner is available as a kitchen appliance 'add-on' that would be acceptable?
- - -

edit: other than a $6,000 "Mongolian burner"?
http://www.allfoodequipment.com.au/a...ge/Wok-CW2.jpg

-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.

Last edited by brewmonk; 12-29-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #35
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

How much does something like a temperature of 10F affect the brewing process? I was thinking of boiling in my garage because I thought the temperature would greatly impair the boiling process, is that much of a concern? Other than that I'd be willing to shovel the deck off and dress warm, I just feel better with a big boil outdoors, plus it makes the brew day stout taste better in the elements!

Old 12-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #36
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

I am not going to try to talk anyone out of using a propane burner indoors. If someone is hell bent on doing it, there is nothing I can do to stop them. I am a former Volunteer Fire Fighter and have wittnessed first hand what can happen when something goes wrong with a propane appliance. However I will share some statistics on the amount for injuries and property damage experienced in America each year as a result of propane incidents:

This is taken from Injuryboard.com. InjuryBoard is a growing community of attorneys, media professionals, safety industry experts, and local activists committed to making a difference by helping families stay safe and avoid injury.

"Barbecue grill fires and domestic propane tank explosions are a major source of personal injury in the United States each year. According to recent statistics from the U.S. Fire Administration, a division of FEMA, some 6,500 barbecue grill fires injure Americans accounting for property loss of over $27 million annually. Nearly a third of these gas grill fires occur in the backyard on a patio or terrace, and another third of these grill fires takes place in America’s backyards. The overwhelming majority of these grill fires result from accidents related to malfunctioning propane gas grills. Mechanical failure or malfunction is by far the leading cause of propane ignition. BLEVEs (boiling liquid expanding vapor explosions) are pressure-release explosions that occur when propane tanks are heated to combustion temperature, and are extremely dangerous."

This does not take into account the hazard due to carbon monoxide. I post this so the OP can make his own decision and so others are aware of the dangers of using an appliance like this indoors.

Guy

Old 12-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #37
brewmonk
Recipes 

Hey, Guy, is that usually when the tank is underneath the grill? My tank usually gets ice on it if I hit it full bore on my weedburner.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:37 PM   #38
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmonk View Post
Hey, Guy, is that usually when the tank is underneath the grill? My tank usually gets ice on it if I hit it full bore on my weedburner.
Being honest I am not sure. I remember going to fire school when I was a probie many moons ago. During propane night the idea is not to put the fire out but to remove the source of gas. If you put the fire out you risk an explosion. In any case you form an inverted "V" to protect the valve man from the flames and heat and the valve man shuts down the valve. When it was my turn to be valve man my glove froze to the valve handle and I was not going to hang around to collect my glove after I got the valve shut. I wanted out of there quick.

I saw a post by someone earlier in the thread, saying they would keep a fire extingisher handy if they had a fire. It would be a bad move to put the gas fire out. It could cause an explosion. The best thing would be to simply close the tank valve and the fire would go out. If that was not possible I would just get the hell out of there and write the house off and kick myself in the ass for using the propane burner indoors. Propane tank fires are fought by pouring tons of water on the tank to keep it cool so the gas inside does not increase pressure to the point where the tank will rutpure and an explosion will happen. This is done until the gas simply burns out.

Guy

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 12-29-2009 at 07:42 PM.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #39
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I know people do it but anything over a 1 lb tank is against code for inside use . If you were to have a tank outside and plumbed then you could get away with it if you had a large enough exhaust hood.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 12-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #40
brewmonk
Recipes 

I wish i could afford to have a plumber pull a permit on a $6k N.G. wok stove (with surround).

And even outside I always try to stretch out the propane line as far away from the burner as poss.

Quick Reply