Proper way to test Ph with a Ph Meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally broke down and got a Ph meter. I'm tired of flying blind with my water and my mash. It's not a great one, but it's a pretty good one.

I've read a lot of comments about these things being unreliable and a little 'twitchy' to work with. I'm comfortable with calibration and how that all works. My question has to do with the actual mash testing.

When do I test the Ph? Do I test repeatedly throughout the mash? Do I test at the end of the mash? Do I wait x minutes, then test? Do I test during th sparge? I'm a little fuzzy on all this.

I was hoping there was a sticky for this, but I didn't see one.

I won't be using it till next weekend, but any help is appreciated. :D

There was another post where people were saying the pH will level out pretty quickly, like within the first 5 minutes of the mash, so testing after that is of little use.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Also, you should filter and cool to room temp before measuring.

I filter with a paper towel into a small cup and place that in a bowl of water to cool down. Cooling it will extend the life of your probe.

Back