oxalic acid based kitchen cleanser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majd

Reaction score
Hello all fellow brewers;
I promise to keep this concise and to the point. When it comes to chemistry (both, mater and human chemistry) I’m inept. I’m researching how to passivate my stainless steel keggle, John Palmer and other books / posts says to use oxalic acid based kitchen cleanser. Nowhere was I able to find a list of those (a commercial name), is OxiClean considered oxalic acid? I doubt it measures 12 PH when dissolved in water! I think the only commercial product I can think of is Bar Keeper Friend, but is Ajax or Comet the same?

The summary of my question is: what commercially available oxalic acid based kitchen cleanser can I get?

Cheers to all

Honestly why do you want the oxalic acid based cleaner,? Ask that question first then well tell you what to use

Good,
I'm looking for oxalic acid based cleaner to use for Passivating my keggle. My keggle is rusted at the bottom, John Palmer said to use such products in his how to brew book.

The OP clearly stated their purpose.

Oxyclean is not an acid at all. Comet and Ajax do not include oxalic acid. I see BKF at any major store. Is it not available where you are?

Barkeepers friend is oxalic acid, and it's supposed to remove rust. I bought some at Bed/Bath/Beyond, and I use it on stainless all the time with great results.

I was going to say that a guy in the foundry used to sell the guys Oxilic acid to get that rusty colored foundry smoke stack stuff off their cars. It looked like greasy brown spots for a couple days,then it crystalized. You'd look at & swear it was rust after eating the paint off. but no,it just crystalized goo. You can't let that stuff get on plastics either.

BarKeepers Friend will get the rust off with a little elbow grease :D
For passivation I don't know about Oxilic acid, but I do know that Citric Acid will both eat the rust and passivate at the same time. For small parts here we use this stuff : http://citrisurf.com/

Bar Keepers Friend and Oxyclean(free) are the only cleaners I need/use in my brewery.

BKF, is what you are looking for, and an incredible metal cleaner.

BKF is oxalic acid as stated; it is what I use for all my stainless steel cleaning.

Back