Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #331
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 632 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I might just have to re do my Citra pale ale, and do it all free in the boil, versus in the screen, and see if there is any difference.
that would be a great experiment, would love to hear about the results.

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #332
runningfarmer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is a picture of the system we brew on. Powered by a brewtroller controller, everything else we built.

system.jpg  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #333
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfarmer
Here is a picture of the system we brew on. Powered by a brewtroller controller, everything else we built.
Flipping awesome!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #334
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think the calculations should be focused on surface area, not volume. If the screen clogs, the volume of wort trapped inside is a moot point (except for the money you spent on the hops!).

I think the 400 is the way to go...no matter the size of the filter.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #335
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
that would be a great experiment, would love to hear about the results.
I probably will. I'm cloning Oddsides Citra Pale Ale, and I'm sure I won't nail it on the first try, will change my grist if it's not on before I start playing with the hop additions. I can run the same hop additions.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 12-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #336
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
I think the calculations should be focused on surface area, not volume. If the screen clogs, the volume of wort trapped inside is a moot point (except for the money you spent on the hops!).

I think the 400 is the way to go...no matter the size of the filter.
I was looking at volume primarily as a method get a rough idea of the amount of saturated hops it would hold. If you consider that something with a 1.25 gallon or higher volume, it should be large enough to let the hops expand and still allow the wort to move freely in the strainer and allow it to drain (eventually)

My LHBS stocks mostly pellets. I am concerned the mesh would be course enough on the 400 to let too much of the particulate matter through.

No data to back that up. Just speculation on my part. I use mainly the muslin bags from my LHBS. I wonder where that is on the spectrum compared to the 300 and 400

Old 12-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #337
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin

I was looking at volume primarily as a method get a rough idea of the amount of saturated hops it would hold. If you consider that something with a 1.25 gallon or higher volume, it should be large enough to let the hops expand and still allow the wort to move freely in the strainer and allow it to drain (eventually)

My LHBS stocks mostly pellets. I am concerned the mesh would be course enough on the 400 to let too much of the particulate matter through.

No data to back that up. Just speculation on my part. I use mainly the muslin bags from my LHBS. I wonder where that is on the spectrum compared to the 300 and 400
I started out with a 200 based on my research as to what the fine bags are at the LHBS and I was way off. Based on what I have seen reported I am guessing that 400 is equivalent to the bags. I can authoritatively state that with the 300 I have significantly less hop gunk left in my kettle than with bags and I'm assuming better hop utilization because the bags puff up so much that I wasn't getting good circulation with them although the flow through isn't great with the 300.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #338
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts

Just did my first batch with my 4x10" 300 micron pellet basket and it worked great. I only do 2.5gl batches so there wasn't a lot of hops, 1 oz at beginning of the boil and 1oz at flame out. I dumped the bittering hops out of the basket at flame out and added the FO hops in the clean basket. The basket pretty much kept the boil kettle clean of hop sludge. This is going to work out great for my system and I'm working with Chad to build a larger basket for all grain brewing.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #339
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Just did my first batch with my 4x10" 300 micron pellet basket and it worked great. I only do 2.5gl batches so there wasn't a lot of hops, 1 oz at beginning of the boil and 1oz at flame out. I dumped the bittering hops out of the basket at flame out and added the FO hops in the clean basket. The basket pretty much kept the boil kettle clean of hop sludge. This is going to work out great for my system and I'm working with Chad to build a larger basket for all grain brewing.
pellets or leaf?

extract or all grain?

Old 12-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #340
onshisan
Recipes 

Ordering one of these for my 5 gal kettle, since my first try with my new dip tube ended with (surprise!) an instant pellet-hop clog when it came time to drain into the fermenter. Pretty excited to give it a shot, and will pot pics of the results.

Quick Reply