Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #331
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,256
Liked 721 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I might just have to re do my Citra pale ale, and do it all free in the boil, versus in the screen, and see if there is any difference.
that would be a great experiment, would love to hear about the results.
__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Hop grower's comparison table. Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA
sweetcell is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #332
runningfarmer
Junior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Davenport, iowa
Posts: 54
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Here is a picture of the system we brew on. Powered by a brewtroller controller, everything else we built.

system.jpg  
__________________
runningfarmer is offline
LabRatBrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #333
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,072
Liked 175 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfarmer
Here is a picture of the system we brew on. Powered by a brewtroller controller, everything else we built.
Flipping awesome!
__________________
marcb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #334
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 3,691
Liked 68 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

I think the calculations should be focused on surface area, not volume. If the screen clogs, the volume of wort trapped inside is a moot point (except for the money you spent on the hops!).

I think the 400 is the way to go...no matter the size of the filter.

ScubaSteve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #335
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,613
Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
that would be a great experiment, would love to hear about the results.
I probably will. I'm cloning Oddsides Citra Pale Ale, and I'm sure I won't nail it on the first try, will change my grist if it's not on before I start playing with the hop additions. I can run the same hop additions.
__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #336
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winvarin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 1,119
Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
I think the calculations should be focused on surface area, not volume. If the screen clogs, the volume of wort trapped inside is a moot point (except for the money you spent on the hops!).

I think the 400 is the way to go...no matter the size of the filter.
I was looking at volume primarily as a method get a rough idea of the amount of saturated hops it would hold. If you consider that something with a 1.25 gallon or higher volume, it should be large enough to let the hops expand and still allow the wort to move freely in the strainer and allow it to drain (eventually)

My LHBS stocks mostly pellets. I am concerned the mesh would be course enough on the 400 to let too much of the particulate matter through.

No data to back that up. Just speculation on my part. I use mainly the muslin bags from my LHBS. I wonder where that is on the spectrum compared to the 300 and 400
__________________
winvarin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #337
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,072
Liked 175 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin

I was looking at volume primarily as a method get a rough idea of the amount of saturated hops it would hold. If you consider that something with a 1.25 gallon or higher volume, it should be large enough to let the hops expand and still allow the wort to move freely in the strainer and allow it to drain (eventually)

My LHBS stocks mostly pellets. I am concerned the mesh would be course enough on the 400 to let too much of the particulate matter through.

No data to back that up. Just speculation on my part. I use mainly the muslin bags from my LHBS. I wonder where that is on the spectrum compared to the 300 and 400
I started out with a 200 based on my research as to what the fine bags are at the LHBS and I was way off. Based on what I have seen reported I am guessing that 400 is equivalent to the bags. I can authoritatively state that with the 300 I have significantly less hop gunk left in my kettle than with bags and I'm assuming better hop utilization because the bags puff up so much that I wasn't getting good circulation with them although the flow through isn't great with the 300.
__________________
marcb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #338
wobdee
Junior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lake Wissota, Wisconsin
Posts: 630
Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts

Default

Just did my first batch with my 4x10" 300 micron pellet basket and it worked great. I only do 2.5gl batches so there wasn't a lot of hops, 1 oz at beginning of the boil and 1oz at flame out. I dumped the bittering hops out of the basket at flame out and added the FO hops in the clean basket. The basket pretty much kept the boil kettle clean of hop sludge. This is going to work out great for my system and I'm working with Chad to build a larger basket for all grain brewing.

__________________
wobdee is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #339
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
jammin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Meridian, ID
Posts: 1,375
Liked 212 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Just did my first batch with my 4x10" 300 micron pellet basket and it worked great. I only do 2.5gl batches so there wasn't a lot of hops, 1 oz at beginning of the boil and 1oz at flame out. I dumped the bittering hops out of the basket at flame out and added the FO hops in the clean basket. The basket pretty much kept the boil kettle clean of hop sludge. This is going to work out great for my system and I'm working with Chad to build a larger basket for all grain brewing.
pellets or leaf?

extract or all grain?
__________________
jammin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #340
onshisan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Ordering one of these for my 5 gal kettle, since my first try with my new dip tube ended with (surprise!) an instant pellet-hop clog when it came time to drain into the fermenter. Pretty excited to give it a shot, and will pot pics of the results.

__________________
onshisan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning gunk in the bottom of bottles jfr1111 Equipment/Sanitation 7 09-22-2014 07:44 PM
Aeration Wand - Help Me Get Gunk out of the tube! BrewThruYou Equipment/Sanitation 8 01-04-2013 11:59 PM
ID this gunk please OregonBrews Equipment/Sanitation 3 08-09-2010 02:10 AM
Better Bottle and blowoff gunk winvarin Equipment/Sanitation 7 07-27-2010 02:28 PM
How much gunk? JerD Equipment/Sanitation 1 07-21-2010 02:33 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS