Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #1001
Demus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard

You mean using it as a large filter inside the BK? That's what a few of us have been talking about already.

There are some problems how to connect the BK's bulkhead tube to the basket.

Poke a hole in the basket and slide it over the bulkhead stem or pickup tube before you fill the kettle?
Sorry, it's a long thread and I admit I didn't read the whole thing. That's what I was thinking though. Even better would be some kind of funnel shaped opening in the filter so you could slide it on blind after the boil. I can picture the design in my head but was hoping someone already made something like this...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #1002
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Just got my latest creation from Chad. I had a "half moon" hop filter made so that I could add my IC without having to remove my filter.
Yambor44 - How is this working out for you? Have you had any issues with the boil being affected?

Old 06-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #1003
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
You mean using it as a large filter inside the BK? That's what a few of us have been talking about already.

There are some problems how to connect the BK's bulkhead tube to the basket.

Poke a hole in the basket and slide it over the bulkhead stem or pickup tube before you fill the kettle?
if you use pellets, the filter will clog. hell, with 2 oz of leaves my bazooka clogs and it's much coarser than one of these filters.

it might work for an unhoppy belgian with 1 oz of 60 min hops, but i'd be nervous about anything more than that.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 06-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #1004
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlscan26

Yambor44 - How is this working out for you? Have you had any issues with the boil being affected?
So far so good. Just finishing up 10 gallons of a Hop Ottin-ish/Deviant Dales IPA clone I made with it and it is pretty fantastic.

I did a Zythos IPA this past week and threw all 12 ounces of pellets straight into the boil. Then I placed the round 6x14 300 micron filter in the fermentation bucket and drained thru that. By somes definition it probably clogged, meaning it was fine all the way thru each 5 gallons but when I lifted the filter it drained slowly. The wort coming out however was crystal clear. A little inconvenient to hold it for a few minutes to drain, but it did its job non the less. Plus, 12 ounces of pellet hops....I'm happy with it. I did the same thing on another batch I posted about with less hops but also an IPA and had zero drainage issues.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #1005
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44

So far so good. Just finishing up 10 gallons of a Hop Ottin-ish/Deviant Dales IPA clone I made with it and it is pretty fantastic.

I did a Zythos IPA this past week and threw all 12 ounces of pellets straight into the boil. Then I placed the round 6x14 300 micron filter in the fermentation bucket and drained thru that. By somes definition it probably clogged, meaning it was fine all the way thru each 5 gallons but when I lifted the filter it drained slowly. The wort coming out however was crystal clear. A little inconvenient to hold it for a few minutes to drain, but it did its job non the less. Plus, 12 ounces of pellet hops....I'm happy with it. I did the same thing on another batch I posted about with less hops but also an IPA and had zero drainage issues.
Can I ask why you didn't use the half moon for the 12 ozs?

Old 06-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #1006
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlscan26 View Post
Can I ask why you didn't use the half moon for the 12 ozs?
Yes. No real reason, just wanted to do it that way.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #1007
riverbeer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Has anybody tried this for a hose end filter? All stainless. 2 1/5 x 5 inches
http://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-Stai...ainless+filter

Old 06-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #1008
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 377 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbeer View Post
Has anybody tried this for a hose end filter? All stainless. 2 1/5 x 5 inches
http://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-Stai...ainless+filter
2.5" x 5"
Too small and with that narrow screwcap opening, about impossible to clean.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Oud Bruin
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #1009
KaSaBiS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I did read the entire thread and seeing the last few pictures I am afraid of going too big. I want a centered 8" 300 mesh for my keggle but am thinking to go 6" only in hopes of having more of a boil going on bigger is better for clogging, I am convinced the screen will drain in place as I drain into FV but to have the extra volume "not boiling" concerns me.

I do plan on lifting and doing the occasional scrape/drain throughout the process but the larger volume of no boil, the more dms you will accumulate.
In my keggle case, is an 8" a bad choice?
I just got a Mr Beer kit and want to brew a Double Imperial Blueberry Heffy Witesit....we have no air conditioning and live next to the sun...do you think I can logger and bottle this in time for a party I will be having next week?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #1010
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 11

KaSaBiS: all I can tell ya is that the post I have around 943 shows a 5 degree temperature delta AND that beer (which I am having right now!) is freaking awesome. It is an IIPA clone of Zombie Dust and it was WAY bitter and full of hoppy goodness. I took it to a bottle share party this weekend and comments were that people liked it BETTER than 3 Floyd's as it was more bitter and hoppy. So at 207-8 it still gave me plenty of bitterness, plenty of aroma, and plenty of flavor from those wonderful Citra hops. Bigger seems to be better as bigger gives more surface area which equals less clogging. Just my opinion, but that is the way I see it. I detect no DMS, but to be honest I am not doing a pilsner usually when I use the screen and don't think I would need it if I was. Cheers!

Quick Reply