Which Mill for everyday use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parratt1

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am looking at putting together a small LHBS and am looking on information on mills. What mill would you guys suggest if you were in the market for a daily large volume use mill and why?
Thanks ahead of time.

Any of the commonly available roller mills should work OK. The only ones I would avoid like the plague are the Corona style corn grinders. They are great if you are making tortillas, but not so hot for making beer.

I wouldn't go with a Barley Crusher for everyday use personally. In fact, I wouldn't go with any mill that does not drive both rollers. The secondary roller will get full of flour and want to stop rolling on you. I am getting rid of my Barley Crusher for this exact reason and moving to a Schmidling with a gear drive set and hardened rollers. Might not be the cheapest option, but if you want something that works when you want it to work, money isn't in the factor. Just my two cents.
Tom

Agree with you there...

For LARGE daily volumes, you really want something designed to handle the work load for the long term... In the short term, pretty much any of the roller mills that you can slap a motor onto will work, but it will get old pretty fast...

Also think about the size hopper you'll need to attach to the mill, as well as what you'll need to catch the crushed grain.

That Schmidling Malt Mill looks like a beast!!! For about $215 you can get the Model A adjustable and put the gear drive on it. Looks fairly straight forward motorizing it and it has a lifetime warranty. That one goes to the toip of the list right now. I like that Barley micro but $925 seems a little much. Im sure its a hell of a machine but at 4x the cost......

If your eyeing up the schmidling for everyday use, I'd get the hardened rollers too. The lifetime warranty does not include reknurling the rollers when they wear out. Hardened rollers is another $30 and helps to eliminate that for awhile.
Tom

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Back