Making graduations for volume in brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildKnight

Reaction score
How do I put a permanent marking, stamping or indentation preferably, in a stainless steel brewpot so that I can know how much liquid is in the pot?

I marked my BK 2 ways. One I used a silver sharpie (My keggle is painted black) to mark gallon increments on the outside. 2 I also used a pipe cutter and marked the handle of my SS mash paddle in 1 gallon increments to use as a dip stick. On my HLT I have a sight glass installed that I marked at half gallon incriments with a sharpie

i used a large carpenter's nail-set to dent a little zit in the kettle at the various heights.

I'd been using a marked spoon, but I'm finding that it's kind of a pain to keep it standing as I check evaporation rates or sparge volumes.

If anyone has an easy solution for etching Aluminum too, please let me know. Otherwise I'm thinking a dremel.

Like this?
4EZSK.png

I just took a piece of soft copper tubing and bent it so it would hang over the rim of my pot while nearly touching the bottom. I used a pair of side cutters to crimp it at each gallon. Works pretty well.

Edit, I also nearly cut/broke off the ends with the side cutter to close them off.

I also use a dipstick. Even calibrated it for thermal expansion, reading it at boiling measures room temp amount, ~1/4 gal difference @ 5 gal in my pot.

Back