Larvae in wall of carboy!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nodfera2

Reaction score
So I have a couple of the Better Bottle plastic carboys in addition to the usual glass ones... and I just removed one of the plastic carboys from storage and found that some sort of larvae have dug into the walls of the carboy.

The larvae appear dead from sanitizing, but the carboy is shot---there really is no way to get into the bottle to remove them.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? I wanted to give a heads-up to anyone that has the plastic variety.

Pictures!

How the hell did they get in there?

I seal off my carboys when I store them, just tinfoil over the top, but Im sure it'll prevent things like this.

WTF, no pics? This thread is full of FAIL until it has some pics of the little critters dug in.

Does it look like this?

montealbanaworm.jpg

I smell exaggeration ...............

a maggot in the better bottle .................... possible

a maggot burrowed into the wall of the better bottle .......... myth busted.

Clearly you need to brew a beer ferment it in this better bottle. The maggot ale will be perfect for your halloween party :rockin:

For those who want pictures, I took a few but they turned out blurry and are not postable... the larvae are too small (about the size of a broken pencil lead), so the camera isn't able to focus. I even tried sliding a piece of white paper behind the photo area to see if that would help.

I had the carboy sealed with foil, but during construction over here, the foil was popped open somehow.

This weekend, Im going to cut open the carboy and see if I can't dig a couple out... maybe I'll be able to get some better pictures. To the naked eye, its clearly evident that the larvae somehow buried themselves into the wall---you can basically see a bubble around some of them.

I would definitely not drink any of your beer ever! some things should be kept to yourself, I.e. your sanitation practices.

They are probably just tapeworms. Nothing to worry about really.

I have a hard time believing the larvae actually burrowed into the wall. I'm betting they are stuck on there someway that looks like they've dug in. This is one time I would break my no brush in a better bottle rule. It's better than losing the bottle. The other option would be hot PBW and a small washcloth stuffed in and tossed around.

Sounds like larvae/egg cases glued to the wall by fruit flies. A good soak in Oxy-clean should remove most. A light brushing with a bottle brush should remove the rest.

Back