Keggle Clean-Up *HELP*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
Scored 2 pretty decent shaped kegs that I will convert into keggles. Both have some stickers and **** on them, and I'm wondering what the best way is to get them off, as well as clean the keggles up... I prefer the unpolished look.

Thanks!!

A flapper pad on an angle grinder would work. Or maybe a razorblade window scraper. Or soak them in oxyxlean to disolve the adhesive.

GooBeGone works awesome... So does Gas(Just make sure not to get it on the inside!)

Disc brake cleaner will work as well to remove paint, adhesives, and oils.

I prefer the unpolished look.
Meh... ;-) It's tough to get a good looking finish that is not quite polished without using a sandblaster (bead blast, whatever your media of choice is). If I were not going to polish, I might try for a brushed look by loading up a grinder with a STAINLESS steel wire wheel. It would work best if you have a way to spin the keg on a turn table to make the finish consistent.

It may seem strange, but the best adhesive remover I've found is a razorblade scraper and WD-40. It has the solvent factor but the secret is the oil to keep the blade from getting stuck in the goo. Give it a try. Acetone is my choice for the final wipe down, because it also cleans up the oil but used by itself, it evaporates too quickly and gums up the works.

I tried to scrape off the stickers on my keg but gave up because they were just tearing with every pull and looked like crap. On my first boil all of them peeled off with ease once the keg was warmed up.

Just take em off when you boil.

BKF is bar keepers friend. you can find it in the detergent/dish washing liquid aisle at your local mega mart. Or online. they sell liquid and powder.

What is BKF and where can I get some?

Bar Keepers Friend, it's a powder (like Comet) that you can mix in to a paste with a bit of water. It cleans up stainless like nobody's business, and also helps to re-passivate the steel if you've happened to miff it up somehow.

Great stuff, thanks all! I just bought an angle grinder, 10 metal cut-off wheels, a step bit, a huge can of WD40, and BKF is on the way (great deal on Amazon, $13 for 4 cans). Here's my rough plan, sans exact measurements (let me know if you'd do anything differently):

1. Relieve pressure from keg and remove dip tube.

2. Cut top off of keg using grinder.

3. Punch 2 holes toward bottom of keg for ball valve and therm/sight glass.

CLEAN KEG:
1. Spray stickers and paint with WD40, let sit for 5 min, scrape with razor scraper until clean

2. Scrub external area of keg with BKF paste; rinse

Eh? Let's say I wanted a super polished look, how would I go about achieving that?

Just received and tried out BKF. Holy **** that stuff works amazingly!!! Luckily I bought the 4 pack ($14 Amazon), my wife plans to clean our entire house with it. Thanks for the rec! :)

Took this:

image-1139646672.jpg

And made it into this:

image-294559613.jpg

Thanks to all for your help!!

Meh... ;-) It's tough to get a good looking finish that is not quite polished without using a sandblaster (bead blast, whatever your media of choice is). If I were not going to polish, I might try for a brushed look by loading up a grinder with a STAINLESS steel wire wheel. It would work best if you have a way to spin the keg on a turn table to make the finish consistent.

Hey Bobby,

What about a brass wire wheel? I have one but am wondering if I should trade it in for a stainless one. I thought brass would work well 'cos it's not as hard as SS so wouldn't scratch the surface much, if at all, but will it imbed anything into the surface of the SS that I don't want?

Oh, btw, got my gear from you (sight glass and accessories) Top notch!

Cheers,

Nick

Latest posts

Back