Inconsistencies between hydrometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cee3

Reaction score
I broke my hydrometer (2nd one this month!) between the time I racked my beer and when I bottled it. After racking the sg=1.014. Before bottling it was 1.018 (with the new hydrometer). Obviously at least one of them is inaccurate. More than likely they both are.

I always thought they seemed like pretty imprecise tools. Do we just live with the inaccuracies and go by relative change in sg? Is there a way to calibrate these things? I guess I could use a refractometer, but I've heard they're not really any good on fermented beer anyway.

I have checked a couple of them in plain water and they're usually pretty close to 1.000. Just not sure how accurate they are at different sgs. And I've never measured the sg of a wort with more than one at a time. May be time to do that.

Mine is off by .002, but it's always the same .002 so it's very accurate, just poorly calibrated> As long as you know the error you're good to go.

Back