How long of a thermometer do I need..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am getting two of these.. how long of a stem thermometer should i need for this? I am using a keggle.. thanks

wbg-thermosight.jpg

Answer #1:
In a word: Don't.

I know, two words if you count the contracted word and I'm too late, right?
After doing this myself, I believe that the thermometer warrants its own port.

I have to stir to get an accurate temperature.

Answer #2
Long enough to extend several inches into the keggle.

olllllo said:
Answer #1:
In a word: Don't.

I know, two words if you count the contracted word and I'm too late, right?
After doing this myself, I believe that the thermometer warrants its own port.

I have to stir to get an accurate temperature.

would ya mind elaborating? Is it because they share the same port on the keggle?

I think he's saying the liquid in the siteglass cools, so you have to bring in fresh, hot liquid to make it read correcty.

I think, anyway...

:drunk:

I've got to disagree with olllllo. I've got 2 of those - 1 ea on my HLT and MLT. I think they're great. I've got digital probe thermos that are about 6" long and they work fine. Sure you have to stir to get consistent temp readings, but that's true no matter how you're taking readings. I don't think the volume in the sight glass really has any bearing on the reading.

BTW, I sealed the probes a little differently. This works much better IMHO. Clicky.

It's my opinion, that installing the thermo on the same port as the site glass leads to fluctuated readings for the reasons that Spyk'd cited and that the site glass port tends to be lower than ideal for a good temperature reading.

IMO, the thermo guage needs to be higher.

Back