Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > how do you use your hop spider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
luismatalon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how do you use your hop spider?

I got a bad clog on my system yesterday. I typically just throw my pellets in free to the boiling wort...but I don't want to deal with a clog again. It got me thinking about building a hop spider. I have a question for those that use em.
-Do you pull the hop spider out of your kettle while cooling? I typically put the lid on my kettle once my temps fall to 120. I would not be able to properly put the lid on the kettle with a hop spider in place....so do I pull it out? If you pull it out, are you really making an effect on your hop utilization? What are your process points?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 868

I started using a hops spider a couple of years ago, when my pumps got clogged by hops debris.

I leave it in while chilling, as I often have late addition and/or flame out hops that I keep in and whirlpool and recirculate. I recirculate until the wort reaches 120, and then send it to the fermenter on the last pass.

I don't use a lid, ever, so that's not an issue for me. My utilization seems to be about the same, but when I use a LOT of hops like I did last week, I use a second spider or a big hops bag for some additions. But that's only in my 6 ounce + beers.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I do the same as yooper except I use an immersion chiller.

I don't use a lid at all and I leave the spider in there while chilling. When putting in the immersion chiller, I have to pick up the hop spider briefly and then I relocate the spider's "bag" to the middle of the chiller.

Quick Reply