How to clean a sanke coupler or tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfish63

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry if I am using the wrong terminology. What I am trying to do is take apart and clean a sanke coupler or tap. The fitting that actually connects to the keg. Is there a way to take it apart. I have had it soaking overnight and there is still some green corrosion looking stuff on it. The stuff is on the section that is in contact with the co2 not the beer but I still want it gone.

When I was serving commercial beer last, I would always do a real HOT water cleaning to my sankey coupler, followed by a quick soak in starsan solution. If you have green corrosion on yours, I would advise a good scrubbing with a scotchbrite pad/SOS followed by a good cleaning. Unless you have adapters for the tube sizing on it, I don't think there is a good way to take it apart. You can soak it in a bleach/water solution to kill the bacteria, but you will want to rinse/sanitize it well before you use it again. Make sure you do any cleaning with the tap/coupler open/closed to make sure you get all crevices.

The sanke tap is easy to disassemble. I take them apart for cleaning all the time. take out the horizontal pin that the handle hinges on and it all comes apart. I usually want to get the probe out, and then I can clean all the insides with a brush. If the rubber parts are good then just soak the thing in beer line cleaner or similar, rinse well, apply food grade lube (keglube etc) to the rubber and go.
look at Micromatic's site for exploded diagrams:
181.gif

Back