Hops filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prost!

Reaction score
Has anyone tasted beer that flowed from the keg, through a home water filter that has been stuffed with whole leaf hops, then out the faucet? I'm not sure what it's called. I've seen a few photos and once saw a short clip on TV, but never in person.

What is this type system called? Does it really hop up the beer in a good way? I'd love to try a pint or twelve.

Never heard of one for dry hopping at serving time, but there's one for brew day. It's called a "hop back" - used for adding a deep hop aroma as you siphon the hot wort through it. Here's a thread where a guy had some success with one.

Be sure to let us know if you find out about this "cold filtered dry hopping" device and how well it works!

Here's a setup from last year's picnic for my local Home Brew Club. It's a Rye Pale Ale and apparently some bitterness was available.

100_2091.sized.jpg

Here's a closeup.

100_2090.sized.jpg

This year's picnic is tomorrow. I'm bringing Apfelwein and Pinto Beans. What a combination.

That's it! Does it add aroma only? What affect does it have on flavor. Do you use it with a beer that's already been dry hopped? Do I need to bring my own beer mug to your picnic?

I don't know, but I bet tomorrow I will. It must cause here's a shot from last year's Home Brew Club Christmas Party. More bitterness continued. How can name this device?

100_2277.sized.jpg

Austin Zealots Home Brew Club (Zymurgic Enthusiasts of Austin Loosely Organized Through Suds)

Bring a mug!

Randall is the common term. (Randall the Enamel Animal is what Dogfish called it, as in removing the enamel from your teeth) I've done it myself and ocasionally a brewpub around here will do it. Somewhere out there is a picture of a few crazies who made a randall out of a 52 gallon water heater.

It does add a unique flavor & aroma to the ale and works best at a picnic or party where the ale is flowing steadily.

Yep. I think Randall will be at the Zealots Summer picnic this afternoon. The Christmas Party pic has the gadget called a "Hop Bong". I think they were doing PBRs with that. LOL

Back