Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > "Good" grain crusher

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
DD2000GT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default "Good" grain crusher

Now that I am going AG, my brewing equipment needs some additions. A good grain mill seems to be a high priority as the grains I keep getting from the online supply shop has about 30% of the grains complely whole and uncracked. I would like one I can hook a drill up to as to save some hand cranking. Also, I think an adjustable plate would be good.

Now the tricky part - I am currently unemployed so economy is key here. I don't mind spending the bucks on something if it is really worth it, but would be easier to obtain on a less expensive unit. I am not a heavy brewer and will usually do 2 batches a month or so.

Any ideas, thoughts, or advice on what to look for in a good mill or recommendations?

Thanks,
Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Brewmasters Warehouse
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I recommend a Barley Crusher. It has everything you said you would like, and it is relatively inexpensive compared to other mills. Hooks right up to a drill and give an outstanding crush. Barley Crushers are pretty much a slam dunk you will love this mill type of purchase.

Ed

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Corona type mills are cheap and will do the job however adjustment can be tricky and roller mills do a much better job.

You may be able to save some money by buying a bare bones roller mill and making the hopper and base your self. For a complete ready to go unit Barley Crusher is probably the least expensive roller mill. It does everything you listed, is well built and can produce an excellent crush. But it is still over $100.

Craig

Old 03-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I have a BarleyCrusher, and it's awesome. It's just about as cheap as you can find for a two-roller mill. Save the $$ and buy a 7# hopper; the 15# is unnecessary. Great, consistent crush, lifetime warranty, and it works out of the box. Never heard anyone who bought one and didn't end up loving it.

Now, some people do report having good luck with Corona mills, which very cheap. They're fussier, though. Seems like about half the people here like their Coronas and half want to replace them, FWIW.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD2000GT View Post
...I am not a heavy brewer and will usually do 2 batches a month or so...
At 24 batches a month...you're a more heavy brewer than most.

I've got about 100 batches (most of them 10-gallons) on this Barley Crusher. Just like new except for the banged up edges where I tipped it a few months back.

Just over $100 for the smaller hopper size.

crusher_2.jpg

crusher_3.jpg

Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Here is my mill, perhaps the ticket if $$ is tight, works well for me. You can find them for $20, shipping is expensive as they are heavy. I will warn you though, these types of mills require an initial adjustment of the grinding plates to achieve acceptable results. If you are not mechanicly inclined, or have more than two thumbs, this may not be the mill for you.

Nice Barley Crusher there BierMuncher, your mill has mine beat, but I think my drill could kick your drills a$$. j/k

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 03-25-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply