Glacier Tank as Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
I was watching Brew Masters tonight and I noticed the ribbed MT they were using at their Brewpub. It reminded me of the Glacier Tanks and I began to wonder if anyone had done this.

I recall a thread somewhere on this forum that mentioned the the Glacier Tanks are made of very thin sheet metal. That is why they don't weigh very much for their size. That alone would not disqualify it from use as a mash tun but I don't know how well the thin sheet metal would support couplings mounted to it for things like valves, thermometers etc.

http://www.glaciertanks.com/index.htm

132 gal? how you going to heat that much water?

Nooo, I'm not doing that. I only want to brew enough beer to keep at my primary residence and at our lake house. I just noticed the small mash tun on the show last night. It was not part of their main brewery. It was totally manual and stirred by a couple of guys and definitely looked diy. It kinda looked like a Glacier tank with the top cut off. If cutting the top off wouldn't make it too flimsy, it could be a nice cheap MT for someone looking to brew a few barrels.

You could use the glacier tanks for a mashtun. You would need to cut the whole top off though. My only issue with this is getting the grain out. It would be a chore to clean. You would have to do it from a small ladder or platform.

They would make fantastic electric boil kettles. With a bit of work a good mash tun too. I would like to see how it all works out.

I have 6 of these tanks I am using right now as fermenters and brite tanks.

I am still new to brewing but was brainstorming about these...I was thinking of trying to build a whole brew station with these kettles.If you use the 132 gallon and make batch sizes at 120 gallons... Have one for the mash tun, one for the boil kettle and one for the fermenter
Mash Tun:
Wounld need to fabricate a false bottom and install side trunions so that the kettle would be able to tilt over to make cleaning easier.
Boil Kettle:
The tanks come with (4) 1" Bulkheads built in 2 on top 2 on bottom. So with the bottom two you could insert elements like the same used for hot water heaters or a higher wattage element like what is used on commercial cooking equipment (Steamers); BUT there would need to be a separate drain installed (Which could be connected directly to a counter flow wort chiller) then sending the cooled wort to the fermentation tank.
Fermentation Tank:
Cap off one of the top bulkheads and use the second as a blowoff, then cap off one of the lower bulkheads and use the other for a drain. Problem here is that you would get quite a bit of the trub that settled...
I priced this system out at about $2500 -$3000 not counting labor. But thats a 3 BBL system, brand new, never used....
I work with commercial food equipment and this can't be too hard to put together. Sure would like some others input if there is indeed a plan already for this...

We just purchased 4 tanks from Glacier Tanks Heavy Wall 3mm Thick, 2-BBT 106 Gallon and 2 125 Gallon Fermenters and was amazed with the quality of Tanks, very well built, heavy duty, 3mm thick tanks for a very good price, we originally were looking at Thin Wall Tanks their Non-Pressure Tanks designed for Water only as some people are using them because of their low price and decided to stay with ones designed for Brewing Beer, We looked at several Tanks on the the market and no one could beat their price for same Quality, they were easy to work with and stock a full line of TriClamp Fittings. You want to call ahead to set up a Appointment with them, Their Store is open from 8AM-5PM for Fittings...We will be taking pictures to Post Shortly....

Sounds like you work for them, since you've bumped every thread pretaining to them, and singing their praise.

They have 2 different lines of tanks. one is strictly designed for water storage (thin wall) which are largely used by customers in rural areas for storage of well or spring water and heavily used in Australia and Asia also for water storage, then they have their 100% Sanitary Heavy duty Tanks designed for the Beer and Wine Industry..

Back