Getting the tank connector off a regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonshae

Reaction score
I ordered a 2 gauge regulator to use in my kegerator, but I already have a 1 gauge regulator that I'd like to use as a secondary...so I can have one keg of soda at 35 PSI and my beer at 12 PSI. However, the secondary regulator has a connector to hook up to a CO2 tank that I'd like to remove. However, it's screwed in so tightly, I can't get it to come out. Any ideas on how to loosen it up a bit without destroying the regulator?

Good luck, mine snapped. I would take it apart and use a little heat to loosen it up. I had to do that to get the broken off nipple out.

Yep, I'm definitely turning the right way. Bobby, I saw you said in another thread that it should be covered with teflon tape there, but it's not...and it never leaked. So it must be in there super tight.

I tried heating with hot water, but that didn't work, alas. I can't get too much leverage, because the gauge is the only thing to brace with.

I can't unscrew the gauge, either, to get it out of harm's way, so to speak. This thing seems to be put together to not be taken apart.

Good luck. Mine was the same way. I believe it had Loc-Tite in the threads.

I used a bench clamp and some channel locks (vise wrench would work too) and just turned it as much as I could.

It took a lot of work, but it can come off without a propane torch I believe.

If you don't care to save the connection, clamp a vice grip on it and a pipe wrench on the stem. A couple of cheater bars on the tools and it should come apart eventually with a little muscle.

I have seen several situations where loc-tite was used on the threads. It really makes it tough to get these apart.

I was using an 18 mm socket, it fits perfectly...just tough. Vice grips and a pipe wrench might work!

Edit: Nope. the grips just gouge the tube, scraping. It has a nice bright surface in some rings now, though!

F**k it. I'm just going to buy a new one.

Back