Getting an RO system - have a question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RO, and RODI water absolutely do have a different taste...

That's BS.
Were you drunk when you posted this?

That's a little harsh. They might taste different if there were a problem with the RO system or if the RO water was saturated with oxygen and CO2 (sat in an atmospheric tank) and the DI water were really DI, 18 MΩ water subject to TOC filtration etc. I'd want to see the difference detected in a triangle test, though. One data point: the RO water and DI water here taste the same - flat.

That's a little harsh.

You're right, that was harsh and I apologize.

They might taste different if there were a problem with the RO system or if the RO water was saturated with oxygen and CO2 (sat it an atmospheric tank) and the DI water were really DI, 18 MΩ water subject to TOC filtration etc. I'd want to see the difference detected in a triangle test, though. One data point: the RO water and DI water here taste the same - flat.

This is the point I was trying to make in an earlier post. If everything is working properly, there will be no detectable difference, at least to your palate. I've been using a RO/DI for 15 years. I've drank both and could never tell any difference.

I used to keep a stony reef tank for a number of years and used DI water for that, however for the line that I ran to our refrigerator/ice maker I split it off after the RO and before the DI. IIRC the tap gave me around 150 TDS water which the RO took to about 4 TDS water and the DI dropped to 0. I decided to not drink DI water after reading about it stripping electrolytes from your body to which some people are more sensitive than others. I read about some people suffering headaches, shaking and having dry skin and it just wasn't worth it to me to determine if any in my family were sensitive to the effects of DI water or not when I considered RO to be pure enough and way better than our tap water. For every person who said it bothered them it seemed there were 10 saying they never had an issue but again it simply wasn't worth the experiment to me. YMMV.

Not drunk - just in a hurry. :)

I've worked with RO and RODI water for 20 years, and the taste difference between the two is obvious. Maybe this is not true with all feedwater. We've run across instances before where people couldn't tell the difference - in almost all cases they we're using mis-configured ebay RODI systems where the DI water passed through a carbon bed.

Russ

Back