Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Getting a mill for Christmas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
Clanchief
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for all the great replies, especially on the warranty for the Barley Crusher. I'm going to look into all of this a little more, but I'm starting to lean that way.

Primary 3 - Wax's California Common
Drinking - Way too many different beers to list...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #22
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
I can attest to the fact that Barley Crusher will indeed honor their lifetime warranty. I got a used BC from a friend. Told them about the knurl wear and they shipped me brand new rollers (only had to pay the shipping). The initial response took about a week, it seems they are a smaller outfit and pretty busy. But they were very courteous and totally honored the warranty. Shipped the rollers out about two days after the initial response. Works like a champ now.
This is good to know! There is a pretty large thread on here with people reporting basically the exact opposite expereince

Old 11-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #23
Knightmare
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

From what I understand, they are a small outfit. If you have issues, send them an email. Let them know in that email that you are a home brewer. That's the only way they warranty. If you own a LHBS, they don't honor the lifetime warranty. It's only for home brewers, not for commercial use. You might have to pay for shipping, but that's it. For commercial use, you can get new rollers for $50.

The biggest problem with this mill and all others, is you periodically have to disassemble and do a thorough cleaning to prevent excess friction. It's also a good idea to check the gap on both sides every now and then and oil it. Periodic maintenance always prevents headaches and problems. You can spend big bucks on anything. But if you don't maintain it, it WILL FAIL eventually!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #24
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 67

For the money I would still go with my Malt Mill, can't beat the 10'' rollers run over 2000lbs through mine (I bought it used) have mine run off a 90volt DC gearmotor with a Dart speed controller at 78 in-lbs of torque.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #25
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman14 View Post
This is good to know! There is a pretty large thread on here with people reporting basically the exact opposite expereince
Yeah, a lot of the threads I have seen involve people emailing them, waiting three days, and then freaking out about "screw these guys and their warranty" only to have BC respond an honor the warranty shortly after.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 11-30-2012, 02:05 AM   #26
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Another vote for the Monster Mill, I have the MM2-2.0 with the 1/2" shaft, the 2" DIA rollers eat grain like a freak, the crush is flawless, the mill is so beefy that I will be handing it down to my 12 year old some day, a very long time from now hopefully

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #27
godrick
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Hey guys,
I've taken your advice and emailed the folks at Barley Crusher. I sent them the email below and I'll let you all know how they respond.
Cheers

Hi folks,
About a year and a half ago I purchased a barley crusher through Northern Brewer. I've been pretty happy with the unit until recently, as it is beginning to have problems. In spite of my best efforts - cleaning, lubricating & adjusting the rollers as per the directions, the mill fails to feed itself. That is, it simply runs without milling the grain. I've discovered that it will only feed if I add the grain a cup or so at a time. Upon close examination I can see that the knurls on the driven roller are worn smooth on the leading side. As an experiment, I reversed the driven roller and it fed grain perfectly. I have milled around seven or eight hundred pounds of grain with the crusher, but I'm surprised that it should be worn out so soon. Perhaps the rollers weren't hardened properly. Could you please send me a new set of rollers to repair this mill.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrick View Post
Hey guys,
I've taken your advice and emailed the folks at Barley Crusher. I sent them the email below and I'll let you all know how they respond.
Cheers

Hi folks,
About a year and a half ago I purchased a barley crusher through Northern Brewer. I've been pretty happy with the unit until recently, as it is beginning to have problems. In spite of my best efforts - cleaning, lubricating & adjusting the rollers as per the directions, the mill fails to feed itself. That is, it simply runs without milling the grain. I've discovered that it will only feed if I add the grain a cup or so at a time. Upon close examination I can see that the knurls on the driven roller are worn smooth on the leading side. As an experiment, I reversed the driven roller and it fed grain perfectly. I have milled around seven or eight hundred pounds of grain with the crusher, but I'm surprised that it should be worn out so soon. Perhaps the rollers weren't hardened properly. Could you please send me a new set of rollers to repair this mill.
I hope they help you out, but if they won't and you do need to get a new mill, Monster Mill also offers a option for hardened rollers.

Good luck and
Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 11-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #29
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrewedit View Post
I will say this, my grain mill purchase is probably my favorite. I dig walking in to the home brew shop and walking out with a $37.00 50 lbs sack of 2 row. It will save you way more than its cost.
Im getting a mill for xmas and I am pretty excited to walk out with 50# sack of marris otter and 50# sack of belg pils.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #30
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RmikeVT

Im getting a mill for xmas and I am pretty excited to walk out with 50# sack of marris otter and 50# sack of belg pils.
Hell yes...one on each shoulder!

Quick Reply