Explain something to me about March pumps please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run my march pump dry all the time. Not totally dry, but either the mashtun runs dry, or I turn off a valve and don't get around to switching the pump off for a few minutes. It's still running great. Don't sweat it. I guess if there are a few drops of fluid in there swishing around, the pump is quite happy.

That's really not what is meant by running the pump dry. A few minutes with no liquid in the volute is unlikely to do any harm. OTOH, running it dry for an hour or more is an entirely different matter. I wouldn't do it intentionally with the March, LG or any other brand, particularly for extended periods and it's probably best to avoid dry running whenever possible.

That's really not what is meant by running the pump dry. A few minutes with no liquid in the volute is unlikely to do any harm. OTOH, running it dry for an hour or more is an entirely different matter. I wouldn't do it intentionally with the March, LG or any other brand, particularly for extended periods and it's probably best to avoid dry running whenever possible.

I know. My point was, in fact, to demonstrate exactly this: that a few minutes with a wet head and no flow is not going to kill the pump.

Thanks passedpawn for getting back to the OPs questions...as a new March pump owner I was also curious...I wouldn't mind hearing more experiences from fellow March owners and how long they feel comfortable running their pumps dry.

Also, you guys say there will be liquid in the head long after it seems dry. What about storing these pumps outside in the winter? My garage easily gets below freezing and my rig is stored in the garage. Now I'm worried about the liquid in the pump freezing and busting the head.

Anything I should be concerned about?

I've valved it off and left it going for about 5 minutes before.

Can't comment on the freezing as we don't have that problem down here.

I'd like to mention that dropping this pump is not a good idea. The threaded nipples like to break. Just saying. You can find replacement heads on Ebay for $25.

I just picked up a used TE-5-MD-HC for $75 shipped. 1/8th HP. If that ***** doesn't get the whirlpool going, nothing will.

That will. The LG 3-MD-HC will almost throw the wort over the side of the kettle when whirlpooling, and it is 1/12hp.

I am beginning to see that these higher flow pumps do place a much greater pressure on the hoses between the pump and the valve. If you are going to restrict the flow on these higher flowing pumps, Id try to engineer it so the valve is on the pump itself. Silicone hoses are not real high PSI hoses to begin with.

This will save your hoses and save your face from being melted off if a hose bursts or pops off a fitting. IMHO

Back