Does Idophor give off flavors to the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geobrewer85

Reaction score
I Sanitize my brewing equipment with idophor and always worry that it's going to give off flavors to my beer due to it's smell after I sanatize my carboy. Can the idaphor smell give off flavors or am I just worried about nothing?

From what I've read, yes. Be very careful about what concentration you mix it at. I've had 3 batches in a row with a somewhat funny taste that I attribute to too high of a concentration.

I can't tell any off flavors b/w iodophor and the other things I have tried. There is a thread on here somewhere where a guy added some solution to one fermenter and had another fermenter from the same batch, and the was no discernible difference in flavor or taste.

If used correctly, there should be no off-flavors. I've used iodophor for 20-30 batches and never had any off-flavor from it.

1. Use the correct dilution.
2. Allow to dry for at least 15 minutes. If you have something that absorbs liquid or you have a small pool of sanitizer on something, then you'll probably need more than 15 minutes.
3. Bottles/Kegs/etc. should be drained upside down, so that they do not have small pools of sanitizer at the bottom.

Not if used correctly. You don't need to let it dry, in my opinion. I saw an article in BYO magazine where they tested this and it made no difference when used at appropriate concentrations.

I believe people are still using it in way too high of a concentration. 1cc per Litre is all that's needed, which is hardly anything. I'm still on my original container... and it's mostly full. I use a spray bottle and wet all surfaces and let sit for 2minutes, and that's it.
As for any flavour issues, I haven't come across any.

i've used 1 capful in 5 gallons for years, and haven't had any problems. much higher concentrations, probably problems, but i can't say either way

Just switch to Star-San.

I started brewing before I met SWMBO. The first time she watched me go through the process she freaked out about be putting a rather expensive batch of beer into a carboy that was (her words) full of soap.

Now, of course it wasn't soap, it was just the star san bubbles, and to reassure her I dipped a small glass into my 5 gallon bucket of solution that I keep around on brew day and chugged it down. (probably less than a shot glass full...) Tasted like tap water. (and no ill effects later on, either.)

I know it's a little more pricey, but star san kicks ass. It'll take a whole lot of convincing to get me to switch to any other sanitizer.

Back